Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

Specific brain effects following olanzapine

Customer Question

Meds prescribed for OCD.

My diary explaining my predicament:

"Risperidone 10mg 1 day

Olanzapine 2.5mg-15mg 2 weeks

Withdrawel 6 weeks + gradually worsening

The effect of these neuroleptics, was like putting cement into my blood. It was as if the blood flow (or whatever that flow into the head is) into my head+mind was blocked up with some sort of metallic cement, so compared to before where I could think instantaneously by flowing blood into my head by simply tensing the scalp, after each dose it was as if there was cement in the blood flow where I could only slowly tense my way to a thought and between thoughts. For 3 days after the last dose the effects steadily diminished (as they had done after each dose). Then, unexpectedly as the psychiatrist assured without doubt they would wear off, the effects steadily increased and have continued to increase since, to the point now, 6 weeks since ingestion, the effects are at their strongest (on a percentage scale, where just after ingesting the last dose the effects were at 100%, the effects have now reached ~1000%). Now it's like the cement is hardened/dried in my blood where I can barely tense blood into my head. I'm pretty sure it's the olanzapine still in me causing the effect as I taste the tablets' floury acid flavour from time to time.

I scoured the internet for examples of people returning to the way they were previously after anti-psychotics, and found nothing concrete, nor convincing, only 2 or 3 people reporting improvement/recovery out of a massive pool of people suffering the same effects as me (blocked access to brain/creativity/memory/emotions/sex-drive), many of which posting they would update their progress.

1 week later – effects are getting stronger+stronger. [Didn’t mention before- since beginning using Olanzapine the effects kick in a bit (to the degree of somewhere around 1/3 of the strength of after swallowing a tablet) when eating, after the first dose of Olanzapine I noticed when eating there was an instant (whilst swallowing) kick in effect of the original effects of the olanzapine (clog) which has continued everytime I eat since (clog gets more clogged). So whilst clog seems to be becoming more clogged at a steady rate over time, it also seems to be additionally clogged after eating.] Almost as if complete cloggage is on the horizon so to speak – what seems like circulation route, including route to brain, is more and more clogged all the time and is only becoming travelible at a slower and slower speed. It has gone beyond feeling like cement to now it is starting to be as if some frothy floury tasting substance (the taste of the olanzapine) is clogging the tubes up as if the olanzapine has cemented+frothed/aired in my tubes.

Few days later – effects ever stronger, now sense as if cemented channels will occur in the nearish future as the circulation effect seems to be becoming so hard and dense.

Next day – remember at first, when there was this clogging effect, where the flow would be met with resistance and the more you tried to push the flow the more it would come to a halt, the more it came to a halt and the pressure increased there were points of most pressure where there would be pops, as the effect got stronger and the pressure got higher the pops became rips, as the effects got stronger the pops then rips became more frequent.

Hours later – so so strong now, as if constant ripping/crunching sensation, so clogged, can’t use brain virtually at all, tiny tiny husk of brain available, very difficult to access, very difficult to string thoughts together, virtually no emotion whatsoever, continuing trend, getting worse and worse, effects more and more strong.. (scalp pain+front of head throbbing getting more intense - forgot to mention those before, but they started to come on as the effects got stronger about 2 weeks after last dose of med).

Hours later – now can’t remember things said just moments ago. Finding it impossible to string thoughts together, as if only a wish washy husk of brain access left."

(theory 1– mesolimbic pathway clog. theory 2 - blood flow into frontal lobe blocked. theory 3- dopamine/serotonin and other receptors blocked, though does not explain why stronger with time..)

Just want to speak to someone who is knowledgable about the brain who can theorize about some brain systems which could potentially fit this description and possible solutions. Might be worth going through postmortem studies analysing brain changes in people who've taken antipsychotics.

Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 2 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.
still need help?
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience: GP in the United States
Patrick,
did they start any new medications?
are you on anything now?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No this is the first and last medication I've ever taken.

what are your normal symptoms of OCD Patrick?
do you suffer anything else?
anxiety?
depression?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No just OCD. Obsessions about healthy food and pesticides, eating related perfectionism basically.

One of the resultant effects of olanzapine was to clog the flow of all my emotions, so currently no anxiety no depression just completely void of emotion very numb emotionally.

And this is not typical huh?
never experienced this before?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No definitely not typical, never experienced anything like this in my life.

OKay. I think this must be neurotransmitter related Patrick. That is the only explanation.
The void of emotions has to be NT related. Possibly an imbalance between serotonin and dopamine or even others involved possibly.
The question is how to restore the balance.
Exercise can help. Also healthy eating.
That being said, I know you aren't going to like this but maybe you need additional meds to get it back to normal. something that increases serotonin, NE and dopamine.
effexor might be a good choice
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience: GP in the United States
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My diet is healthy. Tried exercise, no emotional response, just like it's clogged off, even eating has become mundane, no boost from it.

I may yet have to try a medication. From reading others who've posted about trying to correct these effects, some reported trying many supplements/drugs(legal+illegal)/exercise, nothing seemed to elicit a response.

I have to think that something is needed to correct this balance
I have found effexor to be the best medicine for this anhedonia. Or void of feeling.
If you were my patient, that would be my choice
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your help. Ideally I want to try to avoid medication but maybe it would be worth a try, as long as it doesn't give me any new problems.

you're very welcome Patrick
I wish you luck my friend
let me know how it goes
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Relist: Answer quality. It's a reasonably good answer from a GP, I am looking for a more specialized answer from a neurologist if possible.

Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
Unfortunately It seems like you are not entirely happy with the answer. Please remember the Professional is trying to give you the best possible answer for your question. We like to encourage customers to respond to the Professional and tell them why the answer was not satisfactory and hopefully the Professional will be able to explain further.
Remember there are no additional charges for follow-up questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I just wanted to hear all the possible brain systems which match the description above, ways to test to verify or rule out the theoretical causes, and theoretical solutions.

From reading upwards of 100 accounts from people experiencing these effects after either of those medications, some of whom tried a multitude of supplements+drugs (including the one suggested for a 6-9 month period) to boost the cognitive+emotional function to something like it was before, but it seems that no matter what people tried it didn't elicit any response at all as far as I can see, they just continued to be the same, which leads me to be less than confident about the suggested substance as a solution.