Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

I am suffering from tension up the back of my neck and between

I am suffering from tension up the back of my neck and between my shoulders and feel dizzy when I walk. any ideas
58 year old male. stressful job - worried in case it's more serious than just I need a break !
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 2 years ago.
,
Dear customer
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort in back of neck & between shoulders. I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions .First I need a little more information-
Is the pain radiating to upper arms?
Any numbness or tingling sensation?
What is your occupation?
I am waiting reply..
Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No pain to upper arms. no numbness or tingling. I am a drilling consultant, often travelling - often jet lagged - often working on stressful timetables but used to that !

Dear customer,
Thank you quick additional info.
The symptoms you have described of discomfort and tension in back of neck & between shoulders along with dizziness upon walking is most probably due to a condition called cervical spondylitis and/or spondylosis.
It is most likely caused by age-related changes in the upper intervertebral disks.It is generally caused by the compression of spinal nerves. Any compromise of the nerve space in the spinal column can lead to compression of the nerve endings and can cause the such symptoms.
This occurs because of spina radiculopathy,spinal disc herniation,wear and tear or degeneration of the discs.
You may need tests like X-ray neck,EMG(electromyography) and nerve conduction studies.
This is not a serious or worry some condition.
Take proper rest and take tab. Ibuprofen 400 mg from the counter. It is available as OTC(over the counter) without prescription & will help you greatly.
If still after this,the symptoms persists then you need to consult your doctor examination & tests described & then treatment will be done accordingly.
Hope this helped.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert