Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

. I am a 28 year old male who is physically fit and has no

Hi. I am a 28 year old male who is physically fit and has no history of headaches or back pain.
I started suffering from a constant headache in the back of my head a couple of weeks ago. This lasted about a week so I went to see my GP and she said it was caused by tension. Then the next day I started to feel it in my neck and shoulders, like they were all tense, so I excepted that was what it was. This would make sense as my posture isn't great and I spend a lot of time sat in front of the computer in the same position.
But then over the next couple of days my muscle ache spread to my lower back. It gets worse when I have been sitting down for a long time and is generally much better when I stand up and walk around.
I suffer from terrible OCD so I started to look on the internet just to check it's not anything serious. But the only thing I can find which causes pain in the upper AND lower back is spinal cancer. Apparently this can cause pain which radiates through the legs and arms as well as a tight 'band like' pain around the abdomen. Sure enough, over the last couple of days I have felt what feels like a pulled muscle on the inside of my thigh, as well as a similar feeling in several other spots on my legs and even on the sides of my ankles. The muscles of my upper abdomen also feel sore on both sides, as if I have been doing sit-ups (only I haven't.)
My dad thinks I am imagining the symptoms because I read about them and then started feeling them, or perhaps I have become more sensitive to minor aches and pains because I am thinking about it. I intend to go back to my GP but it's difficult to get an appointment sometimes and I would just like an expert opinion. What are the chances that what I am feeling is spinal cancer? Baring in mind that I haven't felt any bad pain or anything, it's just been discomfort really (but I read that it can start out very mild and gets worse.)
I have taken Ibuprofen gel on my back and it is a lot better now, though I don't know if this is just temporary relief. The headache also appears to have calmed down, though I still feel it slightly if I bend my head down sometimes, occasionally on the front of the head as well. I am just concerned that the aching muscle feeling is spreading through my body like this. It can't all be down to tension, can it?
Grateful for your advice.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Shahzad MD :

Hi there. Thank you for your question. I will be helping you out with your queries

Dr. Shahzad MD :

With what you are describing it is almost certainly tension headache.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

It is HIGHLY unlikely to be anything serious at all

Dr. Shahzad MD :

It is not cancer of spine or brain

Dr. Shahzad MD :

The spreading pain is because your muscles of the neck and spine are all tense because of anxiety or tension.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Let me know if you have more questions.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I would appreciate it if you rate me for my services by clicking on one of the smilies below.

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.

Let me know if you have any further questions.
I would appreciate it if you rate me for my services when you are done asking.
Kindest regards