Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

When a 999 call has been made for patient, and the patient

When a 999 call has been made for patient, and the patient stops breathing before the call has been completed, does CPR have to be performed even when the ambulance controller has been told the patient has a DNR in place?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

if the patient has wishes for do not resuscitate and do not intubate and do not perform cardioconversion and chest compression, then the patient's wishes must be respected and no CPR should be performed.

Dr. David :

the emergency medical team may not have known that the patient had wishes for DNR

Dr. David :

that is usually where the mixup lies.

Dr. David :

if no one knows that the patient is DNR at the site of the patient and doesn't relay the information to the emergency medical technicians on site, then they usually start to perform CPR

Dr. David :

is that what happened?

Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

Dr. David :

Dr. David :

that is usually where the mixup lies.

Dr. David :

Dr. David :

is that what happened?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The person at the care home told the controller on the other end of the phone that the patient had a care plan in place which stated do not resuscitate, but the care home have said the controller insisted they go ahead.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
that is no place for the controller to make that decision to over-ride the home care represenative and the wishes of the patient

it sounds like the controller of the emergency services has overstepped their bounds here and did the wrong thing.

are you looking to hire a solicitor and bring charges and suit to the controller and emergency services company or organization?

what other medical questions do you have?
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board Certified Physician