Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I have low IgM (23) how can I get treatment and what

Customer Question

I have low IgM (23) how can I get treatment for it and what treatment?
thanks.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

if the rest of your immune system is normal, then you most likely don't need treatment.

Dr. David :

IgM are antibodies you make during an acute infection.

Dr. David :

so if your IgM levels are low, it means you don't have a current infection that you are fighting off.

Dr. David :

IgG antibodies are the long term antibodies your body makes to remember prior infections to keep you protected. like from prior infections and from prior vaccines.

Dr. David :

you don't need treatment for low IgM levels. it just means you don't have a current infection you are fighting off.

Dr. David :

hello?

JACUSTOMER-j6v5m6a4- : Dr. David you have dealt a lot with me I have a lot of health problems.
JACUSTOMER-j6v5m6a4- : sorry that shot off too qiockly. as I say I suffer terrible health problems.
Dr. David :

yes, I remember.

Dr. David :

the low IgM is not the cause of your problems.

JACUSTOMER-j6v5m6a4- : Dr. David I was told I am immunosuppressed and was advised to have ACTH? Treatment and I would have a very slow recovery. I WAS NEVER TOLD THIS! The consultant said I must have had a coxsackie virus.
JACUSTOMER-j6v5m6a4- : did you get reply having problems with sending questions.
Dr. David :

I am here.

Dr. David :

sorry for the delay.

Dr. David :

no you didn't tell me that before.

Dr. David :

ACTH will help your adrenal glands hopefully produce more steroids for you.

Dr. David :

and hopefully that will help.

Dr. David :

but there is more to your immune system than just ACTH and cortisol, which can be fixed.

Dr. David :

when do you start the ACTH?

JACUSTOMER-j6v5m6a4- : hello
Dr. David :

yes.

JACUSTOMER-j6v5m6a4- : Dr. David I should have been told 25 years ago!! you are aware I have had to research myself as doctors have given up on me but I remain very unwell. I came accross this diagnosis only 4 weeks ago nevertheless I took it to g.p. and seemingly ACTH is not used now thus I am asking what treatment do I get now..thanks.
Dr. David :

well, if your AM cortisol levels are low, then you might have addisons disease and low cortisol levels

Dr. David :

this is treated with supplemental daily steroids by mouth like hydrocortisone pills daily .

Dr. David :

did you have your AM cortisol levels checked?

JACUSTOMER-j6v5m6a4- : sorry I am so complicated!
JACUSTOMER-j6v5m6a4- : in 2011 my cortisol was low but surprise surprise I wasn't told!
Dr. David :

ask your doctors to see if you have addisons disease where your AM cortisol levels are low.

Dr. David :

if your adrenal glands are not working well, then your ACTH levels would be high.

Dr. David :

do you have any other questions?

JACUSTOMER-j6v5m6a4- : but iabout 6 months ago cortisol was high (wasn't told) I have made my mind up to try to treat myself with your help you have helped me greatly in the past. I took very ill in my early twenties and remain ill. (by the way I went to G.P. and asked for the ulcer medication you advised me to get my new g.p. is excellent she gave me it I am on a four week course and have to return to g.p. to see if I need further treatment. It is helping!. It turns out I was diagnosed with Autonnomic nervous system dysfunction in 2006 I wasn't told! disgraceful! I can't help being ill.
Dr. David :

I see.

Dr. David :

I'm glad you got a new GP.

Dr. David :

I'm glad your stomach is feeling better.

Dr. David :

your GP may have to refer you to a neurologist to get treatment for autonomic nervous system dysfunction which can be a difficult diagnosis and treatment

JACUSTOMER-j6v5m6a4- : I will pay you for now but will check my levels and get back to you if that's o.k. thanks.
Dr. David :

of course.

Dr. David :

thanks for the positive feedback.

Dr. David :

you can always reach me here for advice.

Dr. David :

thanks for using JustAnswer.com

Dr. David :

hello?

Dr. David :

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating below the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hello Dr. David sorry for delay but I had a terrible fall and cracked my ribs. If u want more payment let me know.
Can you explain that low igm can be more reason (caused by something else rather than immune system and can be fixed?
I am attending an endocronologist and hae appointment for 25/3/15. any information will help.
thank you
Iris.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
after 40 days you should start a new question for me here

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello Dr. David I have unsuccessfully acquired the ACTH can you suggest what other treatment you recommended to fix low IGM my Igg is now also low.
thanks
will pay you for
r new answer of course.
Iris.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
my last questions with you were back in 2012.

I am sorry you are having health issues.

but often times a lot IgG or IgM doesn't mean you are stick with something
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thanks
will pay you for
r new answer of course.
Iris.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
you don't need to fix your low IgM levels.