Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

My 81 year old mother is suffering from paranoia / dilutions.

Customer Question

My 81 year old mother is suffering from paranoia / dilutions. She is currently on a waiting list to see a psychiatrist, but not until 24th February. She is up all day and night she's epileptic and I'm exhausted, I don't know where to turn for help. I've called the crisis team and have been informed that mum will receive no help until she is diagnosed. She is wandering around outside in freezing temperatures in her pj's, in the early hours knocking neighbours doors. Please please help can I get mum into a residential for a break in between her appointment.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi--does you mum have a family physician? If so, is he aware of this problem?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Doctor referred mum.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Laureen but has he given her any medication for this problem?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No! If she had and it was still this bad ( after giving tablets the relevant time) I would of gone back immediately.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Sorry to here that Laureen. The one thing I would suggest is that you notify the police of her actions and that she is definitely a danger to herself and a bother to her neighbours. In that case she can be involuntarily committed to a psychiatric hospital unit for three days where she will see a psychiatrist and be fully evaluated and treated. From there she can be sent to the proper residential facility