Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I cut myself on my forehead just above my eye would this effect my eye

Customer Question

I cut myself on my forehead just above my eye would this effect my eyesight
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Hi--how deep and long is the cut and are you saying your eyesight is affected now? And when did this happen?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It just happened and it's not that big I done it with scissors my eyesight is fine but while I was cutting myself my eyesight was going weird if that makes sense or am I just being paranoid is this possible?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
It was probably anxiety and rapid breathing that made your eyesight go weird Adam. The only way this could ever affect your vision would be if you actually hit your eyeball with the scissors and cut your cornea. You really don't have to worry about your vision here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But it felt like I was losing my eye sight while I was cutting myself I thought because I cut myself close to my eye as the cut is just above my eyebrow that's why. is this possible?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
It simply isn't possible for a cut above the eyebrow to affect one's vision in any way Adam. There's no physical connection between the area above the eyebrow and the optic nerve of the eye or the eyeball itself, so your vision problem in that eye had nothing at all to do with the cut.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So what do you suggest as to why I am feeling the way I do about my eye sight being effected
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Not sure what you were asking there Adem?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What I'm trying to say is why do I think that my eyesight was effected.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Well, tell me exactly what happened here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As I was cutting my self just above my eye brow I felt like my eyes were straining and I was losing my eye sight
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
But how did you come to cut yourself?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I get depressed I cut myself, it's not all the time and I am getting help for it.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK. The pain from cutting yourself alone could very well cause enough anxiety to briefly affect your vision but that wouldn't mean that there actually is anything wrong with your vision or that the cutting itself did any damage to you vision.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
so what would the only way be to damage my eyesight
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
I already told you--if you slipped and actually cut your eye--the eyeball itself--that could damage your vision but in that case it wouldn't be a very temporary problem--you'd still have vision problems. You simply can't harm your vision by cutting yourself above the eyebrow
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok and if I did damage my eye I would know about it wouldn't I?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Yes--you'd still have the vision problem and you'd have a red eye and eye pain if you actually did hit your eye while cutting
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So the only way to damage my vision it to actually damage the eyes itself
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Exactly--again, you can't damage your vision in any way by cutting yourself above your eyebrow
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So your saying you can't damage your vision in any way by cutting yourself above your eyebrow no matter how long or how deep the cut?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Yes--no matter how deep the cut--anatomically there's no connection between the area above the eyebrow and the nerves to the eye
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And I would definitely know if I accidentally cut my eye?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
We're starting to go around in circles here Adem. When someone cuts their eye, yes they know it right away--there'd be pain and tearing and blurring of the vision that didn't all last for just a few seconds. Your eye and vision are fine so please let's close this page with a rating for the time I've spent with you today
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do you mean by tearing and blurring of the vision that didn't all last for just a few seconds
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
If someone actually cut their eye they'd have pain, a watery eye, and probably blurry vision that would all last for at least an hour or more. You obviously didn't cut your eye.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok so that's what you meant by tearing and blurring of the vision that didn't all last for just a few seconds
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Yes--the blurry vision you had was very brief and it had nothing to do with cutting anything related to your eye. I have to log off now Adem so please remember the rating of my service to you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry what do mean it had nothing to do with cutting anything related to your eye
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Just what I said before--there's nothing you can cut above the eyebrow that is in anyway connected to your eye or the nerves of your eye
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But when you say related to your eye what does that mean
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
The nerves for the eye--the optic nerve for vision and the other cranial nerves that control eye movements--don't run anywhere near the area above your eyebrow so there's no way to cut or damage them when you cut yourself above your eyebrow. We really need to close now Adem
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok one more question the eyes and the nerves for the eyes were do they run
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
The optic nerve runs from the brain to behind the eyeball and the other nerves run from the brain directly to the muscles around the eyeball but none of them run in the forehead above the eyebrow
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so there's no way to get to those nerves?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Absolutely no way--stop worrying please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok so there's no way I could ever harm those nerves?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
For at least the third time I've said it Adem--no way, no how, never. And if you'll notice, another expert also agreed with me on that
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience: 20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Dr. Chip
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
My pleasure but don't forget the rating Adem