Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

there. I want to know if a gay bipolar person experiencing

Customer Question

Hi there. I want to know if a gay bipolar person experiencing hypersexuality would suddenly "switch" sexuality and sleep with someone of the opposite sex? Is a change in sexuality typical of "hypersexuality"? Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi--just so we're on the same page here--what exactly do you mean by hypersexuality and how is the bipolar disorder being treated?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I believe this person has bipolar as they display a lot of the symptoms. I have read that "hypersexuality" is one of these e.g displaying sexual behaviours that are not otherwise normal. This person has been "gay" for years and with a whole lot of it whe synptoms suddenly she claims to be straight and is having sex with men. She refuses to see she has a problem and her family and I are worried. She is not having treatment.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK. If she were truly bipolar--which used to be called manic/depressive disorder--and she was in the manic phase with the hypersexuality you mention--then, yes a totally gay person could well have sex with the opposite sex. It may be that she does need treatment for the bipolar disorder but it is often very difficult to get these patients even to admit they have a problem, let alone ask for help with it