Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

! I have seen my gp today about a large varicocele above

Hi! I have seen my gp today about a large varicocele above and behind my left testicle, how told me that they are common and do not need treatment, so I was just wondering if that is true? and if left untreated It will not cause any complications. Many thanks.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 2 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.
Thanks for this question
Well, this is partially true. If it is large enough, it can affect sperm production in that testicle. You can lose the ability to make sperm in that testicle.
now, this is usually not a big deal because you have the other testicle to back it up
However, if it were me, I would get it fixed. That way you won't have to worry about it
It is reasonable to leave it alone though as it is rare for it to affect sperm production to the point where you are infertile. Again, this is because you have a "backup" testicle
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for the reply ok another thing is if I did lose the ability to produce sperm in said testicle would the damage be permanent? And I also read somewhere that varicoceles can also have an adverse effect on testosterone production is this also true? Many thanks.

Yes, the damage would be permanent ben
No, this is not true about testosterone production
It will have no effect
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok thanks for your reply! So you would recommend getting it sorted just to be on the safe side?

Yes, I would if it was me in your shoes Ben
Please don't forget a positive rating. I appreciate it
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok thanks for your help!

I appreciate the excellent rating.

I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for feedback. Thank you. :) Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page http://www.justanswer.co.uk/medical/expert-irondoc/

I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)