Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

I have constant colds with ensuing congestion. Is this normal

Customer Question

I have constant colds with ensuing congestion. Is this normal (I am 72 years old and in good health otherwise. Active)
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. Since how long you are having this problem? Do you have other symptoms like nasal obstruction, nasal discharge, sneezing, wheezing etc? Regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

All of the above, and I've suffered thus since childhood, except when I lived in the Caribbean (for 25 years).

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Answer?

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Thanks a lot for your input. I am sorry to hear about your problem. I am going to address your primary concern but later you can ask anything you want. This is not normal but this is not dangerous either. We call it allergic rhinitis. Allergy to one or more things in your surrounding can cause this. Don't worry I will address your question in two aspects; what you can do yourself and what your doctor can do for you. As far as what you can do yourself is concerned in such situations you can use over the counter available tab claritin once daily for a month. Moreover I would like to share a home remedy. Take 250 ml of honey, add one table spoon each of ginger extract and black pepper. Make a solution and take one teaspoon twice daily. It might take 15 days or more but will help you. You should see an allergist who can perform allergy tests to get to the exact cause. Your doctor can prescribe steroid nasal spray and that can help you a lot to avoid recurrence of this cold and congestion. I assure you that there is nothing serious behind your symptoms. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you so much. I am a little dubious that the suggestions you make as the situation is SO long term, however, I will try your recommendations.

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
You are most welcome. I am quite hopeful that my suggestions will help you. They are supposed to help with long term problems. My best wishes and prayers will follow you. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards