Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

, I'm 99% sure I have a hiatal hernia just by my symptoms, pressure in chest aft

Hello, I'm 99% sure I have a hiatal hernia just by my symptoms, pressure in chest after eating, feeling like food is stuck, etc. Was up all night last night because when I lay down it's much worse.
BTW, I'm a medical transcriptionist/editor, so I know the terminology pretty well.
Can you help? thanks.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 2 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.
have you tried zantac or prilosec?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, I don't feel like I have GERD, I don't feel a burning or reflux in my throat.

you might have silent reflux.
just pain without GERD
I would try zantac or prilosec.
However, if you are having food getting stuck you need an endoscopy. A look into the throat with a scope
that is essential
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Okay, will get an upper endoscopy if things don't improve. The food does eventually move on, so I don't feel it's stuck all the time, just for a short while, especially with certain food. It's a pressure feeling more than pain, with the need to burp (more of a loud hiccup actually because usually I don't feel air coming up/out). I had some spareribs last night and I think that was a no-no and some got stuck, so I'm looking into a good HH diet now. I was just reading that you shouldn't have citrus food or alcohol. I've been having 2 or 3 drinks a day (gin and mixer), sometimes a little more on weekends, so guess I need to cut that out at least for now? Is it okay to stop the alcohol "cold turkey or should I have 1 drink a day for a little while to wean myself off? thanks.

Yes, that is fine to cut off this amount of alcohol right away
that is fine.
I agree that stopping alcohol will help these symptoms for sure Diana
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK, this is a good incentive for me to stop drinking, also to lose weight, as it's killing my appetite, this full feeling most of the time. I'm only about 135 lb but could stand to lose a few. lol Any other dietary recommendations? Soft food?

Can the HH heal - or just be controlled/tamed?

sorry about the late reply
I had to step away for a bit.
I would try to eat low fat foods. low fat, low acid foods
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** I know you're not a therapist, but just thought I'd ask... I'm having a lot of trouble stopping the drinking, which I know you said would help my digestive problems. I've been very depressed since my Mom died last year (she was my best friend), and have no relatives that live nearby, not married, etc, so I guess it's the loneliness that drives me to drink, but I really need to stop since it's killing me now. I just feel sick in so many ways, not just my stomach.

Thanks for any advice.. BTW, I cannot afford therapy at this time. I don't think I could handle going to AA either. I don't feel I'm a real alcoholic anyway since it's usually just 2-3 drinks a day.

You're welcome Diana
maybe weaning slowly over time will help
go down to no more than 2 per day for a while and then drop further
please don't forget a positive rating. I appreciate it