Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Had a bad sinus infection that began in October. Had numerous

Customer Question

Had a bad sinus infection that began in October. Had numerous symptoms never experienced before (had mild sinus problems for about 10 years now). Feel better but symptoms persisting - waiting for ENT referral but I'm worried - facial/eye/ear/neck flushing and itching, plus itchy generally especially head, back and legs - this is despite taking 180mg fexofenadine daily. ALso tinnitus, ear pressure and fullness and blood from left nostril when blowing (not too hard). can also feel a blockage on the left hand side of my nose about half way down. WHen I breathe in it feels like there's a 'vacuum' in my sinuses.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi--was the infection back in October treated with antibiotics and have you had a ct scan of your sinuses?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes - I had an initial 7-day course of doxycycline commencing 27th Oct, then a further 14 days of the same medication from 19th November. Haven't had CT scan - have been referred to ENT specialist - waiting for appointment to come through

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK--with the itching--any rash involved? Have you had your liver and kidney functions checked?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No rash anywhere but do go very red on face and neck/ears and have to keep putting cold water on my face to calm it down. I was diagnosed with idiopathic urticaria about 15 years ago which the antihistamines have controlled fine until this episode. I did have a FBC, thyroid and some other blood tests done in October which i think included kidney and liver and they all came back normal

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Claire--and we can continue after this if you'd like. First off, you may have a chronic sinus infection that wasn't well treated with the doxycycline--I would have given you either Septra or Levaquin for that. I would also get a ct of you sinuses to look for the infection and fluid in them.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok, thanks for your time - I'll go back to my GP and see if they are willing to prescribe one of the two antibiotics you mention

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Let me know how it goes Claire