DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

mMy son has just been told he has stage 3 kidney failure. What

mMy son has just been told he has stage 3 kidney failure. What does this mean? Will he has to be on dialysis, as they he says his kidney funtion is 30%? how illw this affect him. long term? He is only 15years old. Please give me as much information as you can. He has been asked to avoid salt and banana.
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 2 years ago.
LondonlawyerJ :

I am afraid your question has been filed in the wrong part of this site. It is int he REnglish law section you need ot contact the adminstrator to get it moved. I will also notify her but you should too.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
I am a double board certified doctor.
What is the cause of his renal failure?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

suffered acute kidney faulure as a result of nephrotic problem as an infant

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
OK
So now he has chronic failure.
He has seen a nephrologist?
If so, what does the biopsy show?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

what do you mean by biopsy? he has been monitored and confirmed that he is at stage3b ckd.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
OK
A biopsy is a sample they take from the kidney with a needle to look at the type of cellular problem.
Another way of looking at this is what treatment has the nephrologist recommended
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Oh! ok

he has only been treated for mild hypertension over a few years. No other treatment, just regular monitoring. I have worried that their seems to be no treatment to slow the condition, which seems to have worsed quite rapidly. what treatment can he have to slow this deterioration in his kidney down please?

I am desperate to have some form of solution. He is so young, very talented athlete and look forward to life. Good heart and loves people. what can i do to help him? whatshould the doctors be doing to help him now?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
First of all he should see a nephrologist and ask for biopsy
Treatment in part depends on the results.
Otherwise....the thing that will slow this down is a vegetable protein only diet.
I have even reversed the numbers with this approach.
In addition, ACE inhibitor therapy, maximized, if he is not currently on ACE inhibitors.
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

He is on Amnopidine 10mg daily to be used in the morning and Losartan 25mg at night - Are these ACE inhibitors? is it good for a 15 year old to use this?

As he is an athlete (sprinter) of National standard at his age he worries about how all these could affect his Athletics. In take of protein and electrolytes have been mentioned as a concern. what are the vegetable only protein diet? please tell me how this will work for him.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Losartan is an ARB which can replace the ACE.
The diet, in order of preference in quantity, should look like this
leafy greens
green veggies
other veggies
whole fruit, beans and peas
Whole grains no yeasted breads, dry cereals or anything refined
Seeds and nuts, but cut out seeds if you have any diverticulosis.
A little tofu or tempeh daily
A little high quality soy or coconut milk yogurt
The soluble fiber in this strategy will stabilized colon function in about 6 to 8 weeks, then about 2 or three helpings of animal foods a week, preferably fish, can be added back.
See the book Eat to Live by Dr. Joel Fuhrman, for instructions on this type of diet.
A dietitian should be consulted for assistance as well.