Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Treated Fibrillation last 8 years. Current age 80.

Treated for Atrial Fibrillation last 8 years. Current age 80. Warfarin (5mg per day normal to meet INR 2-3 ).Just switched to Rivaroxaban on cardiologist recommendation(15mg).Trial week has featured considerable stomach ache . Switchover was immediate,no gap to run-down warfarin. Could this have compromised the switch and caused the re-action ? Back on wafarin but would like another go .Please advise.VMT.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. The stomach side effects of the Rivaroxaban are one possible side effect to the medication but it wouldn't have been caused by the switchover. You can have another go with the Rivaroxaban while being weaned off the warfarin to see if that makes a difference, but most likely the side effect is just from the Rivaroxaban itself and not at all related to the warfarin
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience: 20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 2 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.
I would like to provide another opinion
why don't you try another novel anticoagulant
This stomach pain issue could have been bleeding
why not switch to eliquis. This has the least bleeding side effects of all the new drugs