Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

This is a orthopedic question. PLEASE can someone help me ?

Customer Question

This is a orthopedic question. PLEASE can someone help me ? I live in France and have a very good GP. But I have had problems with tendons requiring surgery in both my shoulders and I have osteoarthritis. I am female aged 54. I am also a farmer. I have been having trouble with my right knee for some months now. If I kneel with my foot to the left slightly I get severe pain in the outside of my knee. I have to straighten my leg and there is a click and the pain goes away. There is no swelling. I have seen my doctor about this and he just says it is my arthritis (of course there can be a language problem) ! 10 days ago I squatted down to pick up a cria (baby alpaca) and lifted him up by pushing on the balls of my feet, like you do normally, and straightening my legs. The pain was excrutiating and I obviously let go of the cria and fell on my bottom. After a few minutes I was able to straighten my leg and again there was a loud click and the bad pain went away. Again no swelling, but the knee has been painful going downstairs or putting pressure on the balls of my feet. The pain seems to be in the back of the knee. I cannot bend the knee all the way (very nearly, but not quite) because of the pain, not because it won't bend. I have seen the doctor but as he says there is no swelling so there can't be anything wrong. I can move the knee perfectly well apart from a complete bend. Today I was out with the alpacas and was on the ground and tried to get up and the same thing happened but the pain seemed worse and it was around 7 or 8 minutes before I was able to straighten it with the usual click. Again no swelling. What do you think is causing this please ? Look forward to hearing from you, Ginny Cobb
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

it sounds like your meniscus cartilage could be flipping back and forth in your knee causing pain.

Dr. David :

or you could also be having a baker's cyst or popliteal cyst behind your knee causing pressure on your knee.

Dr. David :

an MRI scan of of the knee can get more information

Dr. David :

you might benefit from a steroid injection into the knee to decrease inflammation.

Dr. David :

supplements such as glucosamine could possibly help your knee

Dr. David :

also anti-inflammatories such as ibuprofen or aleve could help as well.

Dr. David :

hello?

JACUSTOMER-4b7fm5r5- :

in France you have to be dying to get an MRI !!!!! I have been on anti inflamatories for some time now. I also take codine and paracetamol. I have been resting the knee for about 10 days now, but as a farmer there are emergencies one has to attend to. IIf it is a cyst that is causing pressure why would it physically move back into place and click ? If it is the meniscus cartilage causing the problem can I do any damage to the knee by doing nothing about it ? My doctor says if there was a problem then it would be swollen. Can this happen without swelling ? My friend actually heard it click a few weeks ago.

Dr. David :

if it is meniscus cartilage tear, the damage to the cartilage most likely has been done from prior wear and tear on the knee.

Dr. David :

meniscus cartilage could be partially attached to the bone and can be flipping back and forth and can cause your knee to click back into place.

Dr. David :

yes, this can happen without knee swelling.

Dr. David :

you should also try to ice and elevate your knee as well to decrease swelling of the cartilage inside.

Dr. David :

icing with a bag of ice can help decrease inflammation and pain.

Dr. David :

the clicking also could be bone rubbing on bone called crepitus

Dr. David :

hello?

JACUSTOMER-4b7fm5r5- :

But my leg actually moves when it clicks, you can see it . It seems to 'jump'. It is just as I would imagine a dislocation to be except my knee does not look out of line.. I know what bones rubbing together feels like because I get this all the time in my shoulder ... a little pain but nothing like this pain !!!! Sorry to be sounding negative but I have had it elevated and been using ice for nearly 2 weeks now. I did think it was getting a little better until this afternoons episode. The other symptom which is all the time is that I get very bad pain if my leg is bent and I try and lift something with my foot ... like the cat likes to sleep on my feet and if I try and flip him off then the pain is really bad, but no clicks or jumping in the joint then.

Dr. David :

I see.

Dr. David :

you very well could have a torn meniscus in your knee.

Dr. David :

an MRI scan would confirm this.

Dr. David :

an orthopedic surgeon will tell you to not strain the knee as much and to avoid lifting heavy things.

Dr. David :

they might offer arthroscopic knee surgery for you to try to repair that torn meniscus cartilage.

Dr. David :

but as a farmer, I can see how it might be hard to avoid heavy lifting and weight on that knee.

Dr. David :

do you have any other questions?

Dr. David :

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating below the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

JACUSTOMER-4b7fm5r5- :

Thank you very much. I haven't a clue what I am going to do, it is coming up to my busiest time of the year with birthing and my husband has just phoned the doctor and he has suggested I go for an x ray, but I know this will not show any problem with cartilage or soft tissues !!!!!! The French have a policy not to use MRI unless it's an emergency !!!! For me this is an emergency and if I need surgery then the sooner the better. I also seem to have a problem because it is NOT swollen, is this usual ?

Dr. David :

xrays will not show meniscal tears .

Dr. David :

no, you can have meniscal tears and not have swelling in the knee.

Dr. David :

and only have severe pain and this locking and going back into place sort of feeling.

Dr. David :

best of luck to you

Dr. David :

Dr. David :

if done, please leave positive feedback below

Dr. David :

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback.

Dr. David :

you might have to scroll down below to see the ratings area below.

Dr. David :

Dr. David :

is my website if you have other questions.

Dr. David :

thanks for using Justanswer.com

JACUSTOMER-4b7fm5r5- :

Thank you very much. I had thought that this was a problem. It's just getting someone to listen especially when I am able to walk as long as I don't put weight on the ball of my foot. You have been vwry helpful.

Dr. David :

thanks.