Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

my 15month old has had a very itchy rash on both feet for

my 15month old has had a very itchy rash on both feet for over 6months . i have had numerous doctors appotments, tried all sorts of creams and antibiotics but the rash/itch keeps reappearing . an allergic reaction was suggested but i have not changes or introduced the use of anything since she was born , any thoughts on what this could be?
When they first appeared hand foot &mouth was considered , but the rashes have lasted too long and she didn't get them on her hands so that theory was discounted.
Allergy to leather was another suggestion because they appeared around when she got fitted for her first pair of shoes . I have since stopped using leather products and only use plastic or synthetic shoes/sandals.
Psoriasis was another suggestion , but the doctor himself wasn't convinced because apparently the rash isn't the right type of rash.
There tend to be periods when they seem to clear up , and them after a few days the rashes reappear and the itching intensifies. (Itching is constant - never goes away but seems more intense when fresh rashes appear)
She. Wakes up every single night crying and trying to scratch her feet , so of course non of us is getting any quality sleep.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
This is Dr. David

this sounds alike an allergy type of rash or a fungal infection

skin allergy rashes repond well typically to antihistamine creams like benadryl cream and steroid creams like 1% hydrocortisone cream.

fungal skin infections will need a antifungal cream lik 1% clotrimazole which is over the counter as well

fungal infections like to grow in areas of moisture and warmth.

why is she wearing shoes? she she walking outside often?

is she wearing socks with her shoes?

have you tried any antifungal creams on her feet? does she have periods of sweaty feet?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Her feet are just normal . Not sweaty or dry.she wears shoes when out and about in the park or nursery, I'ld say an average of 3-4hrs a day. She always wears tights or socks with her shoes . Hydrocortisone was the first cream prescribed, and that didn't make any difference to the rashes or itching.
Several anti fungal creams have been used as well and I have even tried calamine lotion , sudacream and pure Shea butter - no improvement .
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
it doesn't sound like you have tried yet benadryl cream which is an antihistamine cream and safe for children.

she might be allergic to fabric softener or soap used in washing the socks

or she could be allergic to the elastic in the socks.

are you able to keep her barefoot for a few weeks to see if her rash gets better?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Unfortunately it is winter and impossible not to keep her fully clothed all day.
My wAshing detergent is the same I have used since she was born and it is used for all clothing - so I think it's safe to rule that out completely. Especially as the rashes are only on the feet.
Her tights are waist high , so again ...If she was allergic to the fabric. / Elastic , wouldn't the rash be spread rather than be contained in one isolated area ?
I have not tried Benadryl brand , but I have used E45 itch relief and oilatum itch relief creams which I think are similar products .
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
E45 itch cream contains Urea 5.0% and Lauromacrogols 3.0%

Oilatum itch relief creams contain light liquid paraffin and white soft paraffin

Benadryl Cream contains Diphenhydramine which is an antihistamine.

so it is different from the anti-itch creams you have been using.

I would try that.

her feet could be extra sensitive to the tights materials and extra hot in the tights and shoes.

try your best to keep her barefooted over the next week and see if her feet get better

try to get tights which don't include the feet

if you don't try these other options, she could continue to suffer with these itchy feet

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating below the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board Certified Physician