Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

My Girlfriend has the following condition ..from the radiology

My Girlfriend has the following condition ..from the radiology centre.
Thyroid
The scan revealed a large cyst measuring 2.23x2.43cms seen occupying most of left thyroid lobe, minimal normal tissue as a reserve seen.
The cyst shows regular thick wall with fibrin threads and echogenic nodules within. Color doplar image shows normal vascularity with no vessels within the cyst.
Right lobe is within normal size 1.22x1.42 and echo pattern with no cyst or solid mass seen within. CCA and IVC of both sides are normally seen by power dopplar and they are of normal caliber.
Conclusion
Hemorrhagic colloid cyst of the left thyroid..
Please advise the best treatment for such a situation.
Also is there a way to avoid an operation to remove that left thyroid and can one have a full function if left with only one..
And if the left is removed what taper the chances of the right one ever being infected in the future... Basically is there a way to treat the thyroid without operating...
Also over the past two week she has noticed that her stomach is swollen slightly above normal..but she is not in pain and it's not wind or eating too much .. Infact she is quite slim size 8 UK dress size .. But her tummy is slightly bumped up... She is also not expecting..the bump is unusual and clearly visible..
Also in the past week she feel weaker and tired especially in the mornings..She hasn't seen a doctor .. We are waiting for a possible diagnosis from you..
Thank you..
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 2 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.
Thanks for this question
The best treatment is really to take out the cyst and make sure there is no cancer left behind.
Then she would simply need medicine to replace the lost thyroid hormone
another option would be to simply watch the cyst over time. repeating the ultrasound in 3-6 months and see what happens.
I would probably opt for the former and just have it removed
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What about the swollen tummy and feeling weak and tired in the mornings..
that is related to the thyroid being off.
she might need thyroid meds just from the cyst depressing thyroid function
Her TSH level should be between 1-3. make sure this was tested by her doctor.
Low thyroid is very common in young females
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So if this is common in young female ..would she lead a normal life without complications even after one thyroid has been removed..and she would have to supplement it by taking medications..

finally she was hoping to have the cyst removed in about 5 to 6monthS from now...would that be too late and would it be better to do it earlier we should just have it done in the summer..please advise

Yes, she would lead a normal life but would have to supplement
In all honesty, she will probably have to supplement either way.
she could do it in a few months probably
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Finally doctor we have just come across the
Hormonal blood tests
Tsh .. 032 .. Ref range 0.25-5
Ft3 ...5.26.. Ref. range 4-8.3
Ft4... 12.82 Ref range. 7-20
This was done during the scan .. Would you kindly let us know the cysts state and whether an early operation would be better or what treatment to assume..
Thank you..
these labs look normal but sometimes it takes a while for the blood work to catch up to the physical symptoms
If your doctor is okay with it, wait a few months and repeat the ultrasound and the blood work then decide on surgery
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Doctor ..you have been very helpful....

you're welcome Amos
please don't forget a positive rating. I appreciate it
I appreciate the excellent rating.

I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for feedback. Thank you. :) Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page http://www.justanswer.co.uk/medical/expert-irondoc/

I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)