Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

What does high antibodies in thyroid mean? Mine was 205 and

Customer Question

What does high antibodies in thyroid mean? Mine was 205 and apparently the range is 0-34? The doc said we must keep an eye on that but I stupidly didn't ask what it meant?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
I assume that thyroid function tests were done and normal, correct?
I have not heard back, so will assume that thyroid function tests were checked and were normal.

Elevated antibody tests indicate that the individual has an autoimmune condition that may cause inflammation and dysfunction of the thyroid gland over time. There are a couple of different types of inflammation that can occur and cause either an increase or a decrease in thyroid dysfunction So, the usual approach is to periodically monitor thyroid function blood tests to detect whether the disease progresses to the point of causing thyroid dysfunction.