Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

Ive been taking pregabalin since dec 2014, 25mg weeks,

Ive been taking pregabalin since dec 2014, 25mg for two weeks, then 50mg for two weeks & I'm now on 75mg. I take one tablet every night. I finish my tablets in March. How do I come off them gradually without getting any side effects?"
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Dr Uzair :

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Dr Uzair :

The withdrawal is experienced only by some people who are on Pregabalin. But it is recommended that you taper off slowly over a week. If you are on 75 mg per day, then you switch to 50 mg per day for 3 days, then 25 mg per day for three days and then on the 7th day, you should stop taking the pregabalin.

Dr Uzair :

This way you will not experience any withdrawal effects.

Dr Uzair :

Hope this helps.

Dr Uzair :

Please do leave a positive rating for the service.

Dr Uzair :

Best wishes.

Customer: Excellent advice, thank you.
Dr Uzair :

You are welcome.

Customer: Many thanks for your advice. Can I just also ask can pregabalin cause acid reflux, been getting it a lot since taking medication, doesn't help as I also suffer with ibs. Is it ok to keep using gaviscon until I come off my medication ?
Dr Uzair :

Yes, it is okay to keep using Gaviscon till you are off the medication. Acid reflux is not a very common side effect of Pregabalin, however, some indigestion is reported with prolonged use.

Customer: I've read up that people get withdrawal symptoms after coming off pregabalin such as depression, is that mainly when been on a higher dose for a longer period ? Or if they suddenly stop without tapering off it ?
Dr Uzair :

The dose and duration only make a difference on the tapering off regimen. Withdrawal symptoms, if experienced, are in the event of stopping the medication cold turkey /abruptly.

Dr Uzair :

Please leave a positive rating for the service. I shall appreciate if you leave a bonus.

Customer: Ok many thanks, ***** ***** nice day :)
Dr Uzair :

Thank you. Have a nice day.

Customer: Last one, will symptoms come back after stop taking pregabalin or if problem is cleared up it shouldn't come back ?
Dr Uzair :

It usually doesn't but you will know for sure, once you're off it.