Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

thank you. Foul smelling ear early december, then developed

thank you.
Foul smelling ear early december, then developed pain in ear. went to drs who px'd optomise drops but not for how long to use. used for 6 days over xmas. appeared to rersolve, but r. ear pain returned so saw another dr who px'd amoxicillin 500mg tds for 7 days. still painfulv so spoke to another dr who px'd (over 'phone) co-amoxiclav tds for 7 days. did not resolve. went to out of hours at local hospital were I work. examination showed ulcer in ear canal and ciprofloxacin 500mg tds px'd for 7 days, although the on call didn't think they would help. advised to contact my g.p. and ask for ent referral. this I did, but g.p wouldn't see me until antibiotics finished. ulcer still present and urgent ent referral made. I also now have discomfort in my other ear. I take ibuprofen and paracetamol for discomfort, but have only needed them 8 hourly. I am worried and confused, I wonder if you could help? The foul smell seems to have gone and no discharge or blood
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Dr. Hasan :

Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you.

Dr. Hasan :

I am an assistant professor of ENT and can guide you..

Dr. Hasan :

Your age?

Dr. Hasan :

Gender?

Dr. Hasan :

and any diagnosed medical problem?

Customer:

hello, not really m.s since 1992, but still working and symptom free

Customer:

female

Dr. Hasan :

Dr. Hasan :

Your age?

Customer:

48

Dr. Hasan :

Is there any pain on pressing the ear from outside?

Customer:

no, but my right ear does sometimes feel hot, but not painful to touch or bend

Dr. Hasan :

Your ear drum was found to be intact on examination?

Customer:

on the 2nd drs visit I was told there was a bulge and yellow behind it most recent visit told eardrum intact

Dr. Hasan :

Thanks a lot for your input.

Dr. Hasan :

I am sorry to hear about your problem. I am going to address your primary concern but later you can ask anything you want.

Dr. Hasan :

From your description it is obvious that it is otitis externa.

Dr. Hasan :

An infection of external ear canal.

Dr. Hasan :

There can be few reasons that it has not healed;

Customer:

that wa the original drs' input do you think it has become complicated?

Dr. Hasan :

Either the antibiotics given were not effective against the organism involved or it can be associated with fungal infection where antibiotics don't work.

Dr. Hasan :

Yes it is possible but I don't think that is has got any major complication

Dr. Hasan :

It is just persisting

Dr. Hasan :

You need to get a culture test if possible and antibiotics according to the result of that.

Customer:

i see, I have infection on my toes and excema on my scalp, does that make a difference?

Dr. Hasan :

Are you restricting water entry in your ear?

Dr. Hasan :

Yes there can be a connection between them.

Customer:

no, should I BE?

Dr. Hasan :

Yes because if you don't infection can linger on.

Dr. Hasan :

Restriction of water entry is more important than medicines.

Customer:

like 'swimmers ear? should I be worried?

Dr. Hasan :

you need to put a Vaseline soaked cotton in your ear while taking bath.

Dr. Hasan :

You can use ear plugs as well.

Dr. Hasan :

But you must do it.

Customer:

I have 5 days to wait for my appt' is that o.k?

Dr. Hasan :

Yes absolutely you can wait.

Dr. Hasan :

I reassure you that there is nothing serious.

Dr. Hasan :

You can wait but avoid water entry even after your doctors visit

Dr. Hasan :

and please don't stress yourself.

Dr. Hasan :

Till you go, you can use OTC tab Aleve 550 mg twice daily.

Dr. Hasan :

It is much stronger than ibuprofen.

Customer:

I think i have rather 'over googled' things cancer....malignant otitis externa etc,

Dr. Hasan :

Yes you are right.

Dr. Hasan :

Malignant otitis externa is a disease of diabetics or people with long term illnesses so it's not your case but even if it is, it is curable easily.

Dr. Hasan :

Cancer is out of question .

Dr. Hasan :

Cancer never present as painful lesion and if it was cancer, you should never have gotten better even once during your treatment.

Customer:

Thank-you, nurses are hopeless! I feel much relieved and I will stop scaring myself and concentrate on work.

Dr. Hasan :

You are most welcome. Please don't stress yourself, I assure you :)

Dr. Hasan :

I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.

Customer:

Thanks and goodnight

Dr. Hasan :

Good night

Dr. Hasan :

Most welcome

Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery