Dr. Natasha
Dr. Natasha, Doctor
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine, Ivy League trained
16455829

, I ave had a memory problem years. eg. If I

Customer Question

Hello, I ave had a memory problem for many years. eg. If I want directions to anyplace I don't know I need specific details written down, verbal directions are gone as soon as they are spoken. This occurs with anything I am unfamiliar with. I frequently find now that it is so much worse. My sons try to tell me how to do things but I find I cannot form a picture of the process and it's gone. I used to write it down step by step but then often forget where I put the instructions. I was told it was a form of Dyslexia, my youngest son was diagnosed with one form but I cannot get help with this and as I am now 71 yrs of age this frightens me. I am very healthy apart from Athritis and it as long as I have my notebook for putting things I have to remember I am fine. But can you tell me what it is. I always need to form pictures of whatever I have to know. it's very hard if I don't know about it.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 2 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.
do you do any higher order tasks like balance your check book?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, I don't, only what I stated.

you are using the computer
that requires complex thought.
do you think you could have ADHD?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no

I will opt out for another expert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

never mind. forget it

Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I’m a moderator for this topic. It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Expert:  Dr. Natasha replied 2 years ago.
This is an auditory processing disorder.
You can read about it here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auditory_processing_disorder
There is nothing to do other than do what you are currently doing- which is writing things down.
As we get older, the chemistry of our brain changes, and so it is not that surprising that this is getting worse.
You can see a neurologist if you desire- they may refer you to an occupational therapist who may have some suggestions
I hope that this helped
Please leave positive feedback for my time and expertise :-)