Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

, I've been taking pregabalin months now, I keep

Hi, I've been taking pregabalin for three months now, I keep getting indigestion problems since been on them. Lately I keep getting acid reflux, lot of wind, feel like someone is sitting on my stomach which is causing me to feel breathless & av a sore throat. What treatment is best to take ?
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 2 years ago.
Dear customer
Welcome back to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort due to these symptoms.I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions:
Pregabalin is used to relieve neuropathic pain.
The symptoms you have described of indigestion,acid reflux,gastric trouble is most likely because of a condition called gastritis.
It is an inflammation or irritation of the lining of the stomach.It is one of the common side effect of pregabalin which you are taking since last 3 months.
Other causes of gastritis are: physical stresses, social habits, chemicals, and infections,excessive use of Non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
Take Pepto-Bismol 2tsf thrice a day after meals.Take tab.Ranitidine(Zantac) 150 mg twice a day.Both these are available without a prescription & will help you greatly to treat these symptoms of gastritis/acid reflux.
Hope this helped.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Thank you *****
Dr. Robert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Will gaviscon not help ? Can you buy these drugs from chemist or got to go through doctor ? Are they safe to use whilst on pregabalin ? Can also ask how long does it take pregabalin to get out of my system ? Looking to come off them next month.
Dear Customer,
Thank you for asking follow up question.
Yes,you can take gaviscon.It will also help greatly.Gaviscon contains alginic acid and sodium bicarbonate. The combination of the alginic acid and bicarbonate will create a a foam barrier which floats on the stomach acid,providing great relief from gastritis & acid reflux.
Yes,you can buy these drugs from chemist as OTC without going to doctor.
These medications are safe to use with pregabalin.There is no interaction of these drugs.
It takes 5.5 elimination half life's for the medicine to be eliminated from your system.It means that the drug will be clear from your body in 48 to 72 hours from the last dosage you took.
Hope this helped.
Thank you *****
Dr. Robert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How much gaviscon can you take in a day, I use the liquid. Which tablet is best to use which you recommended. Also, I take my pregabalin tablet before I go to bed on an empty stomach, is the time I'm taking it making me have these symptoms ?
Dear Customer,
For Gaviscon Liquid,take 1 or 2 tablespoonfuls 4 times a day after meals and at bedtime.
You can take tab.Ranitidine(Zantac) 150 mg twice a day along with gaviscon.Both these are available without a prescription & will help you greatly to treat these symptoms of gastritis/acid reflux.
As you are taking pregabalin tablet before you go to bed on an empty stomach,it is possible that this timming can be the cause of gastritis.
You can take pregabalin before or after food. Swallow the capsules with a drink of water.
So I suggest you to take this pregabalin after the meals.
Hope this helped.
Thank you *****
Dr. Robert