DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I AM A 41 YEAR OLD WOMAN. I HAVE A LUMP AT THE LUMBAR REGION

I AM A 41 YEAR OLD WOMAN. I HAVE A LUMP AT THE LUMBAR REGION OF SPINE FOR 6 YEARS, I SUSPECT FROM A FALL DOWN SOME STAIRS, BUT CANNOT BE SURE. NOW I HAVE PAIN AT THE AREA, AND ALL MY JOINTS HURT, MY ARMS AND LEGS FEEL HEAVY AND PAINFUL IN MUSCLES AND JOINTS, THE ACTUAL BONES FEEL COLD INSIDE WHEN HURTING THE MOST AND FIND IT HARD TO WARM THEM UP. SEEMS TO EASE A LITTLE WITH PAINKILLERS AND WARMTH BUT FEEL PRESSURE/PAIN AT ALL TIMES. CAN ONLY WALK FOR A SHORT AMOUNT OF TIME BEFORE TOO PAINFUL AND EXHAUSTED. NO REAL APPETITE, MAINLY LYING DOWN. BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH PALLINDROMIC RHUEMATISM 10 YEARS AGO, ALSO RECENTLY HAD BLOOD TEST AND MY RED BLOOD CELLS ARE VERY HIGH AND MY DOCTOR SUSPECTS POLYCYTHEMIA. SINCE CHRISTMAS I HAVE HAD BOWEL PROBLEMS STARTING WITH DIARRHEA, VERY PASTY STOOLS, CONSTIPATION, MUCUS IN STOOLS AND A SMALL AMOUNT OF RED BLOOD ON THE OUTSIDE OF A MUCUS STOOL (ONCE). CURRENTLY TAKING SERTRALINE, CERAZETTE AND HAVE B12 INJECTIONS EVERY 10 WEEKS DUE TO A DEFICIENCY. I AM A SMOKER OF 20 A DAY.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
What is your medical question?
I understand the situation
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

what could be wrong???

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Polycythemia, as your doctor stated.
I am not sure what you are asking.
We certainly can not diagnose you without exam and testing.
Besides the blood test, have you had any other testing?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i am trying to establish if my joint pains etc and not being able to stand for more than a few minutes and the pressure on my spine area is the rhuematism or could it be the polycythemia, or should I be looking to see a spine specialist as I am concerned as to why I need to lay down and rest/sleep for 4 hours to enable me to be awake for 2 hours. with sharp shooting pains from the spine area down legs, hips, neck and arms. I am not sure why I have so many different problems or if it is all related to one item and what symptons go with which of the above.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
What you need is an MRI of the spine.
In addition to the rheumatoid problems, you can have degenerative disc disease,,,and this has to be confirmed in detail with an MRI.
Between, that , rheumatoid, and PV, you would account for all symptoms.
I will say that you should have had a colonoscopy by now as well, especially given the diarrhea.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

what would the colonoscopy be to rule out

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Bowel diseases, polyps and cancer.