Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I have pain deep inside my vagina. Like a tightening. There

Customer Question

I have pain deep inside my vagina. Like a tightening. There is no pattern to it. I am a Virgin. What could this be? If I go to my GP will I have to have an internal examination?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Dr Uzair :

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Dr Uzair :

Since when has the pain been occuring?

JACUSTOMER-k0d734fi- : Last few weeks/months
Dr Uzair :

Is this a dull aching pain?

JACUSTOMER-k0d734fi- : No. Feels almost like a cramp. Like everything is tight
Dr Uzair :

Alright, periods okay?

JACUSTOMER-k0d734fi- : No. I am on the mini pill to try and regulate cycle due to PCOS
Dr Uzair :

Okay, any discharge per vagina?

JACUSTOMER-k0d734fi- : Discharge has increased since starting pill but I presume that was normal. It's either clear or gloopy clear white. No smell to it. Just a lot more of it.
Dr Uzair :

Alright. Before I give you an opinion I would like to ask you why you have not rated any of the answers posted by previous experts?

JACUSTOMER-k0d734fi- : ? This is the first time I have used this service?
Dr Uzair :

Okay, the user name you are using has a history of 5 questions with 0 ratings.

JACUSTOMER-k0d734fi- : What is my user name? It's not asked me for any details just my email address
Dr Uzair :

Might be a problem with the site then if you are saying that you have not used this service before.

Dr Uzair :

Any how, lets get back to your query.

JACUSTOMER-k0d734fi- : Ok
Dr Uzair :

Since, you said you are virgin, you might be concerned about an internal exam that might hurt the hymen.

Dr Uzair :

There is no internal exam required at this point in time, only an examination of the vaginal part out side the hymen is required.

JACUSTOMER-k0d734fi- : I have had smear and also an internal ultrasound? The scan hurt really bad so I am presuming it broke me hymen?
Dr Uzair :

The discharge you are experiencing will be sent for a culture and sensitivity test to ascertain if it is sterile or asterile i.e., infected.

Dr Uzair :

With scans, the hymen usually re arranges itself and if there is no penetration for a couple of months, it heals back.

Dr Uzair :

I would presume that the symptoms you have is because of an infection in the vagina which is causing the discharge or due to pelvic floor muscle dysfunction. This can also be a symptom in PCOS as well as fibroids or polyps in the cervix or uterus.

Dr Uzair :

All this can be narrowed down after you have had an examination of the genital area, swab for culture and sensitivity and an ultrasound of the pelvis (not an internal ultrasound).

Dr Uzair :

Are you there and receiving my messages?

JACUSTOMER-k0d734fi- : Yes. Confused re advice regarding hymen and internal exams
Dr Uzair :

The internal ultrasound probe damages the hymen (but all hymens already have perforations in them to allow the periods to come through), usually the ultrasound probe is introduced through one of these perforations so that the hymen is not completely torn, and since, the insult is only once, the hymen heals back in a few weeks to a couple of months.

JACUSTOMER-k0d734fi- : Would the speculum put in for a smear not break hymen? Need to get to cervix so surely would break it?
Dr Uzair :

Hymen is not a sealing or air tight curtain as is believed, it has patterns of perforations in it. The PAP smear swab enters through one of the perforations and does not split or tear the hymen completely.

JACUSTOMER-k0d734fi- : But it would through masturbation? Sorry this is contrary to what I have been told previously so just wondering
Dr Uzair :

Full Size Image

Dr Uzair :

Full Size Image

Dr Uzair :

Different types of hymens.

Dr Uzair :

If you are using a penetrating toy for masturbation as a routine that would surely break the hymen.

Dr Uzair :

And then keep it that way because of repeated use.

Dr Uzair :

If you do not have any more queries, please leave a positive rating for the service.