Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I'm worried, I've had a cough weeks and think its slowly

I'm worried, I've had a cough for 8 weeks and think its slowly getting worse it's normally dry but i had a week where I produced lots of phlegm at about the 4 week period, I've seen my doc twice who has confirmed my lungs are clear, I last saw her yesterday because of the cough but also since last Tuesday ive been off with flu!!! One thing after another, I'm 48, gave up smoking 7 years ago, male, the cough is distrusting my life
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

Hi. Was the phlegm clear? Have you had a chest x-ray during this time? And any problem with indigestion or heartburn?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The phlegm was clear ish, no x ray as docs not that concerned!! I am though although told there's lots about doesn't help, no problem with heartburn or digestion either
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Steve. Is the cough at its worst first thing in the morning?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No it seems to be throughout the day, it can be good then I'll have a coughing fit where it makes me wretch
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I' probably have a seasonal long term cough but with flu I may be panicking, can I get a private X-ray somewhere?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Any problem at all with sinus congestion or pain over your sinuses?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I had post nasal drip a few years ago!!? Could it be this again
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK. First off any cough lasting this long warrants a chest x-ray to look for pneumonia even if the lungs sound clear and there's not much in the way of a fever. That said, another cause for a chronic cough can be gastric acid reflux, even without much in the way of indigestion or heartburn. Finally, with the previous phlegm, you may have a sinus infection that's the problem. All I can do his is give you my thoughts but you need to revisit your doctor and discuss all this