Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am 73 years old , managing high blood pressure . I started

Customer Question

I am 73 years old , managing high blood pressure . I started feeling light headed and dizzy yesterday night . This morning I have been urinating every 5 minutes . Please what could be responsible for the constant urination and what can I do ?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
It will help if you could provide some further information.
Are you having a full bladder when you urinate every 5 minutes?
Or are you having a small volume every 5 minutes?
Are you having any pain or burning with urination?
Which medicines are you taking for the blood pressure?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

At the moment I am using Normordipine. I am not having any pain or burning sensation .

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have been on Normodipine , I am not having any pain or burning with urination

When considering the cause of frequent urination, the first issue is whether there is a normal volume of urine each time that you go.

If you are passing a full bladder on a frequent basis, such as every 5 minutes that you are experiencing, then that is due to an increased formation of urine. The most common cause of increased volume of urine is diabetes mellitus, although it is also possible to get this from a second type of diabetes, diabetes insipidus, or from certain kidney diseases that limit absorption of water to concentrate the urine.

If you are passing a smaller volume each time that you urinate every 5 minutes, that is most often due to an infection of the bladder or associated structures. It also can happen from certain non-infectious inflammatory conditions, but an infection is much more common. The exact site of infection will vary by gender, with women more often having a bladder infection and men more often having a prostate infection, but it also can occur in the kidney, the urethra (the tube that drains the bladder), and in men it can extend into the epididymis.

I ask about blood pressure medicines because certain blood pressure medicines can affect urine formation in the kidneys while others can affect prostate function, but the medicine that you are taking will do neither, so will not affect either type of frequent urination problem.

I would note that lightheadedness and dizziness can occur in either scenario, although for different reasons. In the former situation, it can occur because of dehydration because of increased fluid loss, but in the latter situation, it can occur because an infection can cause the blood pressure to drop below the baseline level for the individual.

In either of these situations, it would be better to be seen to identify the specific cause and to consider treatment, such as antibiotics for any potential infection.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.