Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

.my mother has been suffering from very bad diarrhoea since

Customer Question

Hi.my mother has been suffering from very bad diarrhoea since Tuesday. The GP came on a house visit as she is 89 and house bound.we've sent a sample off and hope to get results in a week but she is not getting any better. The doctor prescribed loperamide (2 mg) but she can only have 6 a day. She is also taking doctor collision brown liquid in between times. I can't believe that there is no end to this. She is up all night as it appears worse then and sleeps on and off all day. My brother and I are taking it in turns to spend the night as she cannot cope with it all. Any suggestions please would be gratefully received. We are making her drink lots of liquid and she has the diarolyte sachets too.
Kind regards *****
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. When did the GP see her?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi.he saw her on Tuesday 10th and done another telephone call on Friday 13th... He's arranging a blood test but that could be a weeks wait because of staff shortages apparently. The stool sample went to surgery also on the 13th.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Yvonne. Of course the main thing with diarrhea is to keep up with the fluid and electrolyte losses so she needs plenty of juices and things like the sachets.. As far as the diarrhea itself, if it is a bacteria problem like E coli, salmonella, or C diff that requires antibiotics and if I were her doctor I would have started those while waiting for the culture results. For now all you can do is try to keep her comfortable but unless she's much better tomorrow, her doctor needs to be notified again
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you doctor. I will contact the doctor tomorrow as I'm sure this will be ongoing and ask for some antibiotics whilst waiting for the results etc.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
My pleasure Yvonne but let me know how she does and please remember to rate my service to you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will keep you informed. Thank you again.
Yvonne
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Take care