Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

, I have recently been put on Metronizadole bacteria

I have recently been put on Metronizadole for a bacteria infection- suspected NSU.
I have been on it 3 days and although the symptoms feel a little lighter i was wondering how long i would need to be on Metronizadole before it works?
thanks Adma
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

When using metronidazole, there would usually be a noticeable improvement in symptoms after three days of the antibiotic, much more than a sense that it is maybe a little lighter. And it will usually take 5-7 days for the symptoms to be completely or almost completely resolved.

Some men with NSU also can get some degree of infection of the prostate, and it can take longer for an infection of the prostate to improve with antibiotics, frequently needing 30 days of antibiotics. However, if the infection is limited to an NSU, it will usually be better in the time frames noted above.

If the symptoms do not improve with the metronidazole, it may help to add an antibiotic that is active against atypical germs, such as doxycycline or azithromycin.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.