Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Partner had a hernia operation 15th December, 5 days in hospital.

Customer Question

Partner had a hernia operation 15th December, 5 days in hospital. Then had to go to Accident & Emergency 2 days later due to a deluge of blood coming through the wound. Then 2 days later back into hospital a wound pouch to be fitted + a reserve supply. It's now just over 2 months later, he still has to wear the wound pouch as the quantity of blood seeping is no longer a deluge, but too much for a dressing. Next appointment with surgeon is this Friday. Surgeon is very sorry about the situation but neither she, nor the district nurses and NHS nurse who came to the house during January have been able to tell us what's causing, or has caused the bleeding. It's a haemotoma in the hernia space we understand, but what caused this, and how long will it last. One of the internal staples has also worked it's way through the wound and surgeon had to cut it. Have searched internet but can't find an explanation which would apply. Poor man is very tired now and not at all himself, and it was only a hernia operation !
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

Hi--has there been a ct scan done to evaluate this assumed haematoma?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, he has had 2 CT Scans in past month. First showed large haematoma, second showed it a bit smaller.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Carole--the blood that's still seeping from the wound--is it thin and watery?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It changed. It started thin and watery, although it still looked like proper blood to me but I believe it was blood mixed with "seres" (spelling not sure of). Then it got thicker and this was apparently old blood. It remains thicker and redder most of the time.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Carole--and we can continue after this if you'd like. Most likely the haematoma was caused by a bleeding vessel--more commonly a vein rather than an artery. Usually haematomas resolve on their own in time without having to be surgically drained. In this case, however, I think the entire would needs to be surgically explored to fully evacuate the haematoma and to ligate any vessel or vessels that may still be open and actively bleeding
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience: 20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I rather suspected that was how it would turn out, i.e. further exploration required and maybe a tidy up of anything leaking. Surgeon reluctant to do that so far, as it would probably interfere with the mesh implanted at hernia operation, and it might take two further ops - one to tidy up whatever is leaking, and one to re-do the hernia. Do you think it's likely to be a further two ?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
There may be no need to re-do the repair with another mesh Carole--the hematoma and the bleeding problem is above the present mesh
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK, thank you for all that, one last question -it would be a vein/veins as it's not pumping, but why/how would any vessel/vessels still be open and actively bleeding ? He's a quick healer and in good health. The NHS doctor who was called out on Boxing Day said "it was just your luck".

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
It may not still be bleeding all that much and a lot of the seepage may just be part of the old haematoma