Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

My 20 year old son has had sickness , feeling faint , and

Customer Question

My 20 year old son has had sickness , feeling faint , and dizzy when standing up , during last night . He has had this sort of " attack " before and the condition has cleared up by itself after a few days . We are confident this not a tummy bug or immediately obvious infection . Waterworks seem to be normal . He does have a high alcohol intake in the order of 4 or 5 units per day at the moment , and we are just wondering if you can advise any immediate things to check . We are concerned this could be kidney or liver related . Regards ***** *****

Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

he needs to stop his alcohol intake.

Dr. David :

these episodes could be due to low glucose levels or low blood pressures in the middle of the night.

Dr. David :

excessive alcohol can cause him to become dehydrated, to have low blood pressure, to even black out and pass out.

Dr. David :

he is too young to be drinking 4-5 drinks per day. he could even be drinking more than that.

Dr. David :

he could have low iron or low folate or low B12 levels if he is drinking alot.

Dr. David :

chances of kidney or liver damage at his age would be low, but if he continues to drink daily and frequently, he could very easily cause liver and kidney damage.

Dr. David :

he should see his GP doctor and see if he can be plugged into an alcohol use support group and treatment program to help him stop his alcohol use.

Dr. David :

even heavy alcohol use can sometimes cause seizures in some patients.

JACUSTOMER-r28jqxf1- :

Thanks for this reply and I take your advice very seriously . Could you explian why it seems to be ok for weeks at a stretch then all of a sudden a problem . I just wish to understend how it's ok between the " attacks " Many thanks

Dr. David :

the stretch of time could be due to how much he has been drinking alcohol wise or if he has been eating regular food or not.

Dr. David :

alcohol can give lots of empty calories without much nutrients

Dr. David :

the more he drinks, often times the less normal food one can eat.

Dr. David :

his blood glucose levels are regulated by his pancreas and liver and other organs

Dr. David :

his blood pressure is regulated by his heart and brain and blood vessels.

Dr. David :

he should go to the A&E next time he feels dizzy and passes out