Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

My son is due to go into hospital circumcison. He is

My son is due to go into hospital for a circumcison. He is just 13 and diagonosed with a tight foreskin. But I am amazed the Doctors are saying he needs a GENERAL anaesthetic. Wouldn't a local be OK? does he need a GENERAL?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Dr Uzair :

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Dr Uzair :

Technically, a circumcision can be done under local anesthetist but a surgeon is more comfortable using general anesthesia in children your son's age for a few reasons.

Dr Uzair :

First of all, the child is comfortable, there is no pain.

Dr Uzair :

Secondly, the child does not move, and it is very difficult to hold down a child your son's age when they start to move during surgery, instruments are sharp and there is a risk of damage to the glans if the child moves while the surgeon is handling sharp instruments.

Customer:

What are the risks of general anaesthetic at his age

Dr Uzair :

Thirdly, your son has a tight foreskin, it will not be a simple circumcision and might take a tad longer than the usual cases, and children are usually not keen on lying down at the same place for more than 10 minutes.

Dr Uzair :

The risks are the same as in any age, his age does not expose him to any additional risks.

Dr Uzair :

General anesthesia is very safe nowadays.

Dr Uzair :

You have risks with Local anesthesia as well and maybe even more than general anesthesia.

Customer:

OK can I ask about the after care? How long we he have to be off school do you think and how long would be have to be off sports like playing football

Dr Uzair :

He will have to be off school for about 05 days after the surgery, he can resume sports after 10 days.

Dr Uzair :

05 days at max, depends on how your doctor wants it. Some doctors can recommend going to school even after 48 hours.

Customer:

Thanks. Do you know how long he would be under the anaesthetic?

Dr Uzair :

That depends on the difficulty of the procedure, but no longer than 60 minutes I presume.

Customer:

Wow that seems like a long time just for a small cut.......

Dr Uzair :

That is the maximum time one would hope for a circumcision. I usually get done with them in 7 to 10 minutes.

Dr Uzair :

But the general anesthesia time includes the induction, intubation, prep and drape and then dressing and extubation time.

Customer:

Thats a relief.....will he wear any protection?

Dr Uzair :

So, its not just the procedure that accounts for the time a child is under anesthesia but the preparation and closure and dressing etc also is included.

Dr Uzair :

Yes, there will be a non adherent dressing to keep the area from sticking to the clothes and from getting soiled by urine.

Dr Uzair :

Some surgeons usually just put an ointment only. Again, depends on surgeon's preference.

Customer:

will it hurt him to pee?

Dr Uzair :

It shouldn't hurt him to pee since the surgery does not involve the urethra. Only the prepucial skin.

Customer:

Ok thanks. Am I able to ask a question about me?

Dr Uzair :

I'd grant you that, provided I am able to answer that question, haha... sure.

Dr Uzair :

Go ahead.

Customer:

Thanks. I managed to pull or stretch my femoral nerve at Christmas and ended up in hospital. The pain was intense but it has gradually got better. Femoral was the diagonosis. However I still have a residual tingling stiffness around my knee and sometimes a bad ache in my neck on the right side. IS this the sysmptoms as far as you can tell and how long will it take to go...

Dr Uzair :

The pain in the neck is not due to the femoral nerve, they are unrelated. After nerve impingement or neuropraxia to any nerve, symptoms persist, in one form or the other for about 3 to 5 months. If they persist after the 6th month, then one should get an opinion from the Neurologist or a Nerve surgeon.

Customer:

I take it exercise and physio are the recommended actions for the back and knee

Dr Uzair :

Sure, continue with the therapy. It should help.

Customer:

Some time ago I had a neck X Ray and it should some crushing of the veterbrae in the neck and the physiotherapist said I would get arthritis later on in life. I did hear of a cortesone injection that helped in some cases. Would you know it this would help my neck/

Dr Uzair :

Cortisone will definitely help with the pain, but it does not affect the incidence of arthritis. However, it can delay the onset of arthritis.

Customer:

Thanks. What would be the steps to get this on the NHS in UK?

Dr Uzair :

I'm afraid, I am not based in the UK and wouldn't be helpful with information on the NHS.

Dr Uzair :

Do you have any more queries?

Customer:

No Ok. Thanks for your help Goodbye

Dr Uzair :

Please do leave a positive rating for the service.

Dr Uzair :

A bonus will be appreciated. :)

Dr Uzair :

Good bye.

Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.