Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My female partner is two months into recovering from a broken

Customer Question

My female partner is two months into recovering from a broken shoulder and various other bones in her upper arm. There is a long metal pipe bolted to her bits and pieces. She is already on various medications due to her previous alcohol problems. She is unable to take morphine in order to relieve the intense pain she is suffering from. She has also been informed that 4 Paracetmol tablets per day should be the limit due to her liver situation.
Question: Should her shoulder still be hurting so much after two months?
Question: Are there alternative pain-relieving options available?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
It will help if you could provide some further information.
Is the pain only at the site of the fracture or does it extend beyond that location?
Do you have the most recent tests of liver and kidney function?
Is she taking any medicines besides the medicines that she is taking for the pain?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I believe the pain is from the fracture only and during her exercises she experiences more pain due to trying to get the unused muscles working again. Her liver tests are 50/50, which is an improvement on before.

Regarding the medicines she is currently taking, I am a touch vague on this because there are so many. I cannot guarantee she is taking all of these but this is what she has been prescribed: Prochlorperazine, Ferromate, Acamproste, Omeprazole, Cetirizine Hydrochoride and very stong vitamin B compound.

I believe this does about cover it.

My main concern is to alleviate the pain she is still suffering from and at the same time, allow her to recovery from her injury.

Thank you for the additional information.

1. Although most people with a shoulder fracture would be having much less pain by this point in time, there is a minority of people that continue to have pain 2 months after the fracture. The fact that it was a complicated fracture is a risk factor for prolonged pain. It is also a risk factor if the patient has a history of alcohol abuse or other substance abuse, particularly of drugs that are brain suppressants.

There are certain patterns of pain that would be more worrisome, including if the pain were to be radiating down the arm, which would be worrisome for excessive pressure on a nerve. Since the pain is limited to the fracture site, this is less of a concern.

2. As for alternative pain relieving alternative, there are a few options.The over the counter anti-inflammatory medicines would not be optimal in this situation, since it can adversely affect either liver or kidney function. They also can exacerbate whatever acid irritation syndrome led to the use of omeprazole. There is an over the counter cream, called capsaicin, that can help ease pain from a variety of musculoskeletal or neuropathic pain syndromes. There also is a prescription topical anti-inflammatory medicine that has minimal systemic absorption, so is much less risky.

If these do not help, then it may help to use a medicine that eases pain by suppressing the nerves that carry the pain message. The most commonly used medicines are certain anticonvulsants, such as gabapentin or pregabalin.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.