Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

is it possible to have gallstones removed without removal of

is it possible to have gallstones removed without removal of the gallbladder
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Shahzad MD :

Hi there. Thank you for your question. I will be helping you out with your queries

Dr. Shahzad MD :

It would be very unlikely for stones in the gallbladder to be removed without surgery

Dr. Shahzad MD :

If gallstones are not causing you any symptoms then surgery is generally not considered and all we do is watchful waiting

Dr. Shahzad MD :

There is a medication that comes by the name of ursodiol that can potentially dissolve stones but it can take months or even years for this medication to slowly dissolve the stones and you would have to take this medication regularly. Additionally, this medication is only helpful for cholesterol stones and not for pigment stones. By far, the most common type of stones are cholesterol stones.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Another nonsurgical technique, shock wave therapy, uses high-frequency sound waves to fragment the stones. Bile salt is administered afterward to dissolve small pieces. But this procedure is still considered as an experimental procedure.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Let me know if you have more questions..

Dr. Shahzad MD :

A method called contact dissolution can also be used to dissolve gallstones. The doctor inserts a catheter through the abdomen, and then injects a special drug directly into the gallbladder. In many cases, the stone disappears within a few hours. This procedure is also considered as an experimental procedure and is not regularly used.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I would appreciate it if you rate me for my services when you are done asking.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Kindest regards

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

please give your opinion on this

I am drinking two spoons of apple cider vinegar along with lemon juice

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.

There is no evidence to suggest that apple cider vinegar along with lemon juice will work.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks so much

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
You are most welcome
Wish you all the best.
I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the smilies below.
Kindest regards