Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

I'm a 36 year old man. I'm extremely worried about my condition.

Hi I'm a 36 year old man. I'm extremely worried about my condition. It began last October when I started experiencing severe pain in my lower left abdomen. This pain lasted for approx 5 weeks. In this time I also experienced numbness in my back on the same side. I visited the hospital and was told it may be muscular.
In december the pain in my stomach subsided somewhat, but the pain in my back intensified. Since this time I've had a private mri scan and an ultrasound which have come back clear. I've also had blood and urine tests which again were all clear.
It has now been 5 months and the pain is now unbearable in my lower left back. The pain radiates into my hip and the top of my bum. The doctor believes its muscular and is referring me to a rheumatologist for further tests. I am worried out of my mind as to what it is? I worry about cancer, but the doctor dirsnt seem overly concerned despite my pain and the length of time it's been going on. Please can someone help me? I'm tempted to go to the A&E as the pain is so bad at the moment. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 2 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.
did you have an MRI of the low back?
what was the MRI of?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The MRI was carried out on the abdomen as at the time I was experiencing severe pain and tenderness around the bowel area on my left hand side of my lower abdomen.
No MRI was carried out on my back.
Okay.
I'm nearly 100% sure this is a disc in the low back that is probably blown out and pressing on a nerve
You need an MRI of the low back. It will show it. Probably L5-S1 disc level
Nothing bad like cancer though
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Would a problem with a disc created pain in my stomach and then move to my back? Sorry to be a nuisance, I'm just so worried about it after all this time.
No problem Leon.
you are not a nuisance
yes it absolutely would
the only other possibility is a kidney stone. I would get a urine sample. If no blood, then no stone
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the advice. I've had a urine sample taken already which came back ok. I'll ask for an MRI scan on my lower back then.
Thank you so much for putting my mind at ease and pointing me the way.
Leon
I appreciate the excellent rating.

I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/

I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)