Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

My daughter had a Hysterosalpingogram on 03/02/15 and was told

Customer Question

My daughter had a Hysterosalpingogram on 03/02/15 and was told that it was like a smear test! As soon as the dye was administered she suffered a burning pain instantly and the pain got progressively worse. She wasn't offered any pain relief before or after the procedure and was held down by nurse. She bled for a day or two afterwards and since has being excessively swollen and in immense pain. She tried to go back to the hospital to the Doctor who did the HSG and was referred back to her GP without being seen. Her GP wouldn't see her as an emergency so she waited until 09/02 to be seen after pleading for and emergency appointment, a swab was taken to check for any infection! She was told she'd have the results in 2 days and had to wait until Friday. The results were fine, no infection. Meanwhile she is unable to stand or drive and consequently can't go to work! I sent her to the local private hospital (13/02) for help and they were unable to do anything without referral but did advise on better pain relief as they suspected either a perforation or allergic reaction if not infection.
The pain on Monday was more bearable so she went to work and it has progressively become so severe that she had to leave work and suffered fainting. She managed to be seen by the GP today who said she was constipated! She has not suffered since the HSG with this and has regular movements and has not been taking Co-codamol! She asked the GP to refer her privately and he scoffed and refused! Is there a reason why she cannot be referred privately? Her medical history so far that we are trying to investigate is that she has PCOS and is starting on the infertility process! The PCOS is that she was told that they were too severe to laser or operate on! Could somebody just advise me what to do next please? Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

I am so sorry about your daughter.

Dr. David :

it does sound like a bad allergic reaction to dye or rupture or perforation of the fallopian tubes.

Dr. David :

almost no one does hysterosalpingograms anymore.

Dr. David :

a good transvaginal ultrasound would have been fine to check for polycystic ovaries.

Dr. David :

and blood androgen levels and insulin levels are enough to look for polycystic ovarian syndrome.

JACUSTOMER-z8e7ianu- :

Hello Dr David

JACUSTOMER-z8e7ianu- :

She already knows that she has PCOS and was being checked for blockages and or scar tissue etc which they said at the time of HSG was all clear. If she has suffered a perforation or allergic reaction what should she do? For the record I had this procedure done 25yrs ago and suffered no ill effects whatsoever! Why do you suppose she cannot be referred to continue care elsewhere and should she continue to seek medical or is it just a case of rest and pain killers?

JACUSTOMER-z8e7ianu- :

* seek medical help

JACUSTOMER-z8e7ianu- :

You don't seem to have answered my question Dr David? I've given you a brief account to date and need to know what is the best thing to do now if no-one will see her? This is so frustrating what have i just paid for exactly?

Dr. David :

I am sorry, I was in a meeting.

Dr. David :

the hysterosalpingogram could be causing more scar tissue in her pelvis

Dr. David :

antihistamines and steroid therapy would help decrease an allergic reaction to IV contrast from the procedure.

Dr. David :

it sure doesn't sound like she was constipated.

Dr. David :

she most likely doesn't need a referral to see a private gyn doctor or private doctor.

Dr. David :

she can seek private care most likely without a referral.

Dr. David :

I think she should see another private gyn doctor.

Dr. David :

she might benefit from a pelvic MRI scan

Dr. David :

she can use pain killers for now to help decrease pain.

Dr. David :

hopefully her pelvic pain will get better with time.

Dr. David :

let me know if you have questions.