Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I've had a cough on and off weeks... I only seem to cough

I've had a cough on and off for 5 weeks... I only seem to cough when I have phlegm which worsens in the night. It started as an intense cough but sometimes I inky cough 6-7 times in a day.
I have a runny nose and the cough comes from chest - I don't smoke
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi--have you seen a doctor about this? What color is the phlegm and do you have a fever with this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No fever and no doctors phlegm is mainly clear
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK. Any problem with heartburn or indigestion? Any chest pain with this? And have you tried anything over the counter for it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Corvina and no no pain or heartburn it started off as a bad cough but now it's lingering
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK. First off, any cough lasting this long needs a doctor's evaluation and a chest x-ray since it could be pneumonia even without a fever. Another possibility would be silent gastric acid reflux--without the heartburn. Finally it might be an allergy problem. For now you could try a week's worth of Zantac and Claritin to see if that clears it but the most prudent thing to do would be to have a doctor take a look at you