Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

My husband had measles as a baby, and it caused his ear drums

My husband had measles as a baby, and it caused his ear drums to perforate, one side so badly that he had to have an operation to graft skin from behind his ear to recreate the drum.
Skip ahead 35 years, and for his birthday I've bought him a chance to scuba with sharks at an aquarium as a surprise - he's always loved sharks, but because of the ear damage his ambition of becoming a diver seems impossible due to equalisation/pressure issues. I thought scuba would be a way for fulfil a lifetime ambition for him, because I made the assumption it would be swimming on the surface, but I've just looked at photos and you're fully submerged
Obviously the only thing worse than never being able to fulfil your ambition is a surprise trip to stand in front of your ambition and then be crushingly unable to take part, which would nudge me out of awesome wife territory and into destroyer of dreams territory. Not ideal.
So can someone with a repaired perforated ear drum scuba dive? Have I made a terrible mistake, and do I need to cancel?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Dr Uzair :

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Customer:

Thank you :)

Dr Uzair :

Its been a long time since he has had the graft / tympanoplasty done. The graft must have taken really well and become strong by now.

Dr Uzair :

If he has normal Eustachian tube function, which can be checked by an ENT, then he can participate in scuba diving.

Customer:

He says that he can still get air pushing through, or whistling, but I don't know if that's to be expected

Customer:

Ok, so I think I might just have to abandon the surprise element

Dr Uzair :

I have personally allowed some of my patients to go scuba diving after the ENT has confirmed that their equilizing is good and that their Eustachian tubes are functional.

Dr Uzair :

Air pushing through where?

Customer:

Thank you for your help - I'll get him booked in.

Customer:

Through his ears? Say when he clows his nose

Customer:

*blows

Dr Uzair :

Well that means that the Eustachain tubes are functional.

Dr Uzair :

But nonetheless, it needs to be confirmed.

Dr Uzair :

:)

Customer:

Thank you! Much appreciated.

Dr Uzair :

If you do not have any more queries, please leave a positive rating.

Dr Uzair :

A bonus will be appreciated. Best of luck!