Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

When I was younger I used to pull out my hair, not through

Customer Question

When I was younger I used to pull out my hair, not through stress, but just because one was longer that the other, then the next, then the next. It did result in a bald patch but only once.
Growing up I used to pluck the hairs from my grandparents moles or ears because i thought it was just something that I enjoyed.
Now as I'm older I find myself fixating on hairs. If an eye lash is not in line I have to pluck it out, if someone has hair on their ears or between the eyebrows or on the nose I can't stop looking at it, It makes me tence up, I can feel myself getting hot and bothered.
My partner of 6 months has long hair in and on his ears and between his eyebrows. Several times ive gone to pluck it, not meaning to but just that over powering need to get rid of it. Ive asked him to pluck them out but he complains that it hurts. Last night I only had 2 hours sleep as all I could think about is pulling out those hairs. Today I feel as though I just want to cry because I can't face seeing him knowing that any chance I get Im going to be trying my best to stop myslef pulling them out.
Is this OCD?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

Hi. Yes this is indeed obsessive/compulsive disorder and it seems to be majorly affecting your life at this point. You need to speak to your doctor about this and begin seeing a therapist skilled in cognitive behavioral therapy. An SSRI medication like Zoloft may also help, but the real key is entering therapy

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Is there any name to this form of OCD? I know that Trichotillomania is classed as OCD but my problem is no longer about me pulling out my own hair its others. I thought that maybe as I have control over my own that other peoples neglect of their body hair is what I have a problem with

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Well, in a sense this is trichotillomania just directed now at others. Having a specific term for it really isn't all that important though--the therapy is the same