Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

Dear Doctor I may have spoken to you before about my OCD which

Customer Question

Dear Doctor I may have spoken to you before about my OCD which is surrounded around HIV at the moment after my Breast Cancer diagnosis. I'm Trying to control it by Cognitive thinking. Yesterday I walked into a used Condom and I tried to control my fears, now myimd is saying my coat and bag fell on top of it, but I have proceeded to wear my coat again and use my bag,without washing it, and eating the food in my gag I also are wearing the shoes too, and as you can imagine my anxiety is sky high. I am doing what I have been told to do. But I fear I am putting myself in danger of catching HIV, please can you reassure me that what I am doing is safe!
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Dr Uzair :

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Dr Uzair :

With the contact you mention, the chances of HIV transmission are not remote but zero.

Dr Uzair :

HIV does not transmit in this manner and you are safe.

Dr Uzair :

Please enter chat and use reply to respond.

Customer : Thank you Doctor I find each day an effort, as I think I am stepping on Used needles etc etc. things have been made worse as my local hospital have not only lost 25 years of records, but have mixed up my records with someone of the same name, hence my latest scan results have gone missing. Also I am on Ramipril, because my heart was affected by Herceptin, and yesterday I forgot to take my evening dose, I have taken my morning dose is this OK? Also if I do step on a used needle would I get HIV as I fret every time I leave the house!
Dr Uzair :

Yes, that is okay.

Dr Uzair :

No stepping on a needle with your shoes on will not give you HIV.

Dr Uzair :

For HIV to transmit the needle should contain an amount of blood infected with HIV in liquid form and the needle should penetrate the skin.

Customer : Also just now I have answered the door to the postman and unfortunately our 6 month old pup has just ran out and nibbled him and I tried to get him back and he nibbled me can I catch HIV from this?
Dr Uzair :

Not likely. The contacts you mention are trivial ones and no incidence of HIV transmission has been reported with these.

Dr Uzair :

I would appreciate if you leave a positive rating for me.

Dr Uzair :

Best.

Customer : I did not see if he drew blood on the postman so I don't know, but he drew blood on me, as his teeth caught my arm as I was restraining him, I am so worried should I be tested for HIV?
Dr Uzair :

No, you should not be worried. HIV does not transmit with dog bites.

Customer : Even if blood is involved? Two peoples blood that is?
Dr Uzair :

Yes, since, the virus does not stay alive in the saliva of the dog. And the blood drawn is quickly washed by the dog's saliva.

Dr Uzair :

And there is no inoculate with dog bites.

Dr Uzair :

Dog's teeth are not hollow like needles and can not inject blood.

Customer : What even if the dogs mouth stay open, and it's instant bite after bite oh I am so worried, I don't want HIV and Breast Cancer
Dr Uzair :

No chance.

Dr Uzair :

HIV and breast cancer, do not spread with dog bites.

Customer : No I have had Breast Cancer which made me Obsessive, going through Chemo etc. so bite on the postman, then and immediate bite on me involving blood will not put me at risk to catch HIV?
Dr Uzair :

No, it will not put you to risk at all.

Customer : Thank you Doctor, I hope you can try to understand what I am going through .
Dr Uzair :

Yes, I understand.

Dr Uzair :

Take good care.

Dr Uzair :

Please leave a positive rating for the service.

Best wishes.

Customer : Just one last thing I did not wash my hands or wound after as I was in a state of panic will that matter, or cause me to get an infection or HIV?
Dr Uzair :

Not likely, but wash your hands. No chance of HIV.

Dr Uzair :

Best wishes.

Customer : Or if I rubbed my eyes after without washing them?
Dr Uzair :

I can continue answering further questions on the Q and A thread only after you leave a positive rating for me or accept my additional services offer.

Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
No, in your contact, the eye rubbing would not give you HIV.
Best.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Or touching my gums which bleed sometimes after being bitten and may have the postmans blood on me ?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
The postman's blood was never on you. Like I said, you need a hollow needle for transmission of HIV. It does not spread like this.
Best.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Doctor, I would just like to ask you another question. my son had dermatitis on his head and had steroid cream. As I had so many steroids whilst I had Cancer treatment, my son has been using my hairbrush, I did not know this and was using it too! I have rinsed it under water, is this enough to do, as I am worried the steroids will harm me.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
No, steroids will not harm you like that.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can you catch HIV through pin pricks if someone else have pricked themselves and then I pricked myself? Or does as you say the needle have to be hollow? Or someone's blood on a surface? As you can see I am becoming very Obbsessive and I have to sign off now, as I think I am becoming worse by asking too many questions. Thank you for your time and patience Doctor and Kind Regards ***** *****
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Well, the chances are extremely scarce with the kind of contact.
Yes, it is better that you log off for a while and not think about it for sometime. We can continue at a later date
Best.