Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

My stools are almost black in colour .This has been like this

My stools are almost black in colour .This has been like this for the last three days.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

Hi. We can continue after this if you'd like but there are really only two causes for this. One might be if you've been using something like PeptoBismol, but the other is much more serious. Stool of that colour usually indicates an upper gastroentestinal bleedi as with a bleeding peptic ulcer. You really should be active about this and call your doctor right away since you need blood work to look for anemia and you need some further studies to determine the source of the bleeding