Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

Dr, I need advice about piles. I'm a fit 35yr old male,

Hi Dr, I need advice about piles. I'm a fit 35yr old male, I have had severely painfull piles since late Thursday night, I have been prescribed proctosedyl ointment, and laxative drinks by my GP. I have also bought Ansul supositries but nothing seems to be helping. I have suffered from this before, but nothing like the pain I'm in just now. I am very reluctant to vist my hospital with this issue, as a previous vist with the same problem, resulted in me not getting any resolution to the problem, and left in more discomfort, do you have any advise please!!!
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 2 years ago.
Dear customer
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort & pain from piles. I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions:
The severe painful piles since late thursday night you are having needs to be treated.
Although you are prescribed with proctosedyl ointment.It contains cinchocaine hydrochloride(a local anaesthetic for pain relief) and hydrocortisone( a steroid to reduce swelling).
Also you are prescribed with laxative drinks by your GP but both these have not provided you much relief.Also you bought Ansul supositries but that also did not provide benefit.
Pain is one of the most common symptoms of piles(hemorrhoids).
I advise you to use another strong local anesthetics like Benzocaine 5% to 20% (Americaine Hemorrhoidal),applying vasoconstrictors like Ephedrine sulfate 0.1% to 1.25%.These make the blood vessels become smaller, which may reduce swelling.
If there is excessive pain then apply menthol 0.1% to 1.0% . All these medications are available as OTC without prescription.
Also the cause of external hemmorhoid is to be treated.Constipation is the most common cause.Fiber is one of the mainstays in the treatment of constipation.You need to increase the quantity of fruits and vegetables as they contain lots of fiber.
If these products does not help and your symptoms still persists after this,then you need to consult your ano-rectal doctor for the following procedures:Infrared photocoagulation,laser coagulation, hemorrhoidectomy(surgical removal of hemorrhoids).
So as of now,I advise you to use the above described treatment to treat the hemorrhoids.Usually & generally it provides much relief from pain & discomfort.
Hope this helped.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Thank you *****
Dr. Robert