Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

My wife has developed a very large cold sore on her face (1cm

My wife has developed a very large cold sore on her face (1cm + wide) for the first time in many years. Is there anything a GP can do/prescribe as an emergency procedure that is not available over the counter?
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Hasan :

Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. I am sorry to hear about your problem. I am going to address your primary concern but later you can ask anything you want.

Dr. Hasan :

GP can prescribe anti viral drug which can speed up the recovery process and make the sore less contagious.

Dr. Hasan :

That's the most effective thing a GP can do for her.

Customer:

As it is a Sunday, assuming we can't find a GP, can a pharmacist give anything like this?

Dr. Hasan :

No your doctor can prescribe it.

Dr. Hasan :

Does she has pain?

Dr. Hasan :

If yes then she can take over the counter Tab aleve twice daily

Dr. Hasan :

Anything else that you want to ask?

Dr. Hasan :

I am here to assist you.

Customer:

No real pain. Can you advise the best over the counter option - even if expensive?

Dr. Hasan :

Option for what?

Dr. Hasan :

Please clarify

Customer:

e.g. she has L-Lycine which recommends 1,000 mg, whereas some websites (e.g. drugs.com) say that 3,000 is OK for an outbreak. Would that be fine?

Customer:

I should add that the outbreak seemed to be slighly improving with saline, but then she used Aciclovir last night and it seems to have spread the outbreak and made it worse.

Dr. Hasan :

Yes it is recommended and 1000mg daily for 12 months is fine

Dr. Hasan :

If you use 1000 mg daily then it has to be used for 12 months and if you use it three times a day then it has to be for 6 months.

Customer:

So 3,000 is OK - spread 1,000 x 3

Dr. Hasan :

In my opinion once daily dosage has better compliance.

Dr. Hasan :

No 1000 daily is preferred

Customer:

So not, say, 3,000 per day for a week? (Not trying to put words into your mouth!)

Dr. Hasan :

:)

Dr. Hasan :

Yes let me simplify it.

Dr. Hasan :

3000 daily in divided dosage for a week

Dr. Hasan :

as higher dosage is for outbreak

Dr. Hasan :

then reduce later to 1000 daily further

Customer:

OK, that makes sense. Thank you.

Dr. Hasan :

:)

Dr. Hasan :

I wish her good luck and that she gets well soon.

Dr. Hasan :

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.