Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Three days of severe body aches with shivers, then hot with

Three days of severe body aches with shivers, then hot with nausea. Blood in urine.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
It will help if you could provide some further information.
What is the highest temperature?
Are you having any sore throat?
Is there any pain or burning with urination?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My high temperature ,no sore throat and no burning in urination. However i noticed pain lower down but because I am due to see specialist next month I ignored it
Which specialist are you scheduled to see next month?
What is the problem for which you have been referred to this specialist?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Gynaecology (Urogynae Clinic)
Thank you for the additional information.

The most common cause of severe body aches, fever, shivering, and nausea would be a viral infection. And when the symptoms are more severe, it is more worrisome for an influenza infection.

However, when there is blood in the urine, there should be some other considerations. The most common reason for blood in the urine with signs of infection is a bladder or kidney infection. But if there were a urinary tract infection, there would usually be some amount of pain or burning with urination. Since you are not having such symptoms, it would make a urine infection less likely.

If there is no urine infection, the blood in the urine is worrisome for inflammation of the kidneys associated with the acute infection. If the blood in the urine was a chronic problem that is worse with infection, that would be less urgent, but since you have not been having any previous blood in the urine, this should be addressed.

The penicillin is usually not adequate for any of these scenarios. It does not help a generic virus or an influenza infection. Certain antibiotics will help a urine infection, but the penicillin is limited in effectiveness for a urine infection, as the vast majority of germs that cause a urine infection would not be sensitive to penicillin.

So, it would be appropriate for you to be seen. Antibiotics will not help a generic viral infection, and the medicines for influenza are indicated only if started within the first 72 hours. However, with blood in the urine, there should be an initial evaluation to be certain whether there is a urine infection that needs antibiotics and whether there is any kidney disease/inflammation that requires urgent intervention.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.