How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DrRussMD Your Own Question
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 65319
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
DrRussMD is online now

I am beginning research on whether it is appropriate or

Resolved Question:

I am beginning research on whether it is appropriate or not to seek out a child psychologist for my daughter. We are currently involved in a long standing battle in court. Contact has apparently been stepped up reasonably however in the last few weeks her behaviour has worsened and I feel like I just can't help her. She is nearly 6. Contact has just increased to overnight. She told a cafcass worker she will miss me (this is the only reason why she doesn't want to go from what she tells me) and will scream uncontrollably, punch me or kick me and won't get out of the car. I pointed out that when it is just day contact she jumps out of the car and runs over to daddy, when it's overnight we have this behaviour. Last weekend after retuning home after a 20minute battle to get her out of the car I found her in her room biting herself. This upset me greatly. She shouted that it was my fault for making her go. This weeks she has repeatedly wet herself. She will give me no explanation to why she is doing this. I think she's embarrassed. It hurts that she won't express herself to me but I know my child and have been her main carer since birth and something is wrong. The finger is being pointed at me for not promoting positive contact. It's hard to be hopeful and encouraging when I am the one of the receiving end of her screams and shouts, kicks and punches. Is it worth perusing a child psychologist to carry out an initial assessment.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
There is no question.
This child needs a therapist now, before this gets worse.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How are professionals getting away with saying that her behaviour is her coping mechanism? ThankYou
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
It does not matter if it is a coping mechanism...that is how habitual patterns start, and if they go on, and become fixed with repression, then into adulthood there can be a lot of problems.
Any good PhD clinical psychologist/family therapist, or any PhD clinical child psychologist will be able to assess this.
ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
DrRussMD and other Medical Specialists are ready to help you