Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Severe constipation. Aged 80yrs

Severe constipation. Aged 80yrs
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi--can you please tell me more about the problem?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It started three days ago I first had a large lump at my exit which came out with a lot of pain and now I have the feelings of wanting to go with a lot of pain but nothing is happening.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Stephanie. Have you had problems with this kind of constipation before and when did you last have a colonoscopy?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
About 2months ago but it cleared itself but painful. I have not had a colonoscopy .
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK--and what off the shelf remedies have you tried?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I started with Senokot and then Dulcoease plus dried prunes. If I lie down the pain is not too bad.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Stephanie. The only alternative for you now would be something like a Fleet's enema but you really shouldn't try any more laxatives. The problem here is that you may have a fecal impaction--a hard lump of stool that is partially blocking your colon. Since you haven't ever had a colonoscopy I'm afraid I also have to mention this could be colon cancer that's causing the blockage. Try the enema but even if that works for you you need to see your doctor about this and you definitely need colonoscopy after your colon is cleared out