Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

I came off metronizadole two days and still have a horrible

hi
I came off metronizadole two days and still have a horrible metallic taste and slightly grey tongue. how long does this last for? I have seen different reviews but not sure?
thanks
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 2 years ago.
Dear customer
Welcome abck to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort due to metallic taste in mouth. I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions
Metallic taste in mouth is scientifically known as ‘Dysgeusia'.
Metallic taste in mouth is one of the most common side effect of metronidazole.
It may start as soon as the intake of first dose & can last from couple of days upto 2 weeks since the stoppage of medication.
In most cases the metallic taste usually go away within 3-5 days after stopping the drug.
So as you have came off metronidazole two days and still have a horrible metallic taste and slightly grey tongue,I advise you to wait & watch your symptoms for next couple of days.
There is nothing serious or to worry.If this persists after 2 weeks,then you need to get back to your doctor.
Till then take citrus juices, lemonade and foods marinated in vinegar.This will increase the saliva production & removing the metallic taste of mouth.Every time you brush your teeth, make sure to brush your tongue also.It will help in lessening the metallic taste.
All this will help you greatly.
Hope this helped.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Thank you *****
Dr. Robert