Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I have a split next to my nail on my index finger, have had

Customer Question

I have a split next to my nail on my index finger, have had it for about 3-4 years it just will not heal. My doctor tried me on Fucidin cream to no avail and then a steroid cream. I,ve been using the cream regularly but it,s making no difference. The split is very sore and angry and because it,s on my right hand, causes me a lot of pain when I,m cleaning etc. Can you help?.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.

Hi--would it be possible to post a photo on this page?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I,m sorry, I dont know how to.My doctor first thought it was a whitlow because of the red swelling underneath my nail, but the split is confined to the right side base of my nail. Almost as if the quick (?) had been ripped out.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Sandra. So this is basically an open sore? Does it ever drain any fluid?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sometimes, not often just depends on how far it splits. There,s no pus, It just weeps a bit.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Sandra. This is likely what's known as a herpetic whitlow--a bit like a cold sore but on the finger instead of the lip. What you need to clear is is a combination of acyclovir ointment and a five day course of oral acyclovir. You should ask your doctor about this.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thankyou so much. I,ll contact my GP.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
My pleasure but let me know how it goes and please remember to rate my service to you Sandra
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Cant thank you enough. My GP was quite intrigued as she has never seen a Herpetic whitlow before, and was very quick in providing the treatment you reccomended. Once again thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
My pleasure Sandra