DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Every few days I experience an odd sensation, mainly in my

Every few days I experience an odd sensation, mainly in my upper torso - not pleasant but not painful - which is associated with an extremely vivid random memory recall. The memory is usually perfectly pleasant, but within a couple of seconds, both the sensation and the memory have gone. Each time it happens I think 'this is a memory I can surely retain' but no - it goes instantly, and I'm left with just a vague impression. The exception to this was once recalling my late mother's face - probably from about 40 years ago.
It has happened when sitting, standing and even driving. It may be associated with a hunched position as I think I have noticed that if I sense it happening and straighten my shoulders and take a deep breath it passes off. I am 64 years old, male, and on statins.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
This is a very odd symptom.
Many doctors would jump right to the assumption that this is psychological.
However, an atypical seizure problem needs to be ruled out.
See a neurologist, request an EEG.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

do you mean atypical absence seizure?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
There are many types of atypical seizures. EEG defines this. Any attempt at diagnosis without exam and EEG would simply be a guess.
The seizure does not have to be an "absence" seizure.
please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.