Dr. Charogat
Dr. Charogat, Doctor
Experience:  Licensed in both NYS and NJ with experience in surgery and medicine.
16403115

Is a aortocaval node near the peritonium?

Expert:  Dr. Charogat replied 1 year ago.
Dr. Charogat :

Hi, and thank you for coming here with your question.

Dr. Charogat :

The aortocaval node is in the chest, while the peritonium is in the abdomen,

Dr. Charogat :

Thus, they are not near each other.

Dr. Charogat :

G-d Bless

Customer:

Im

Customer:

Km

Customer:

Confussed as my dad had stage 3 colon can but recent San shows few mets ,

Customer:

The ct report does note mention peritoneal disease but the oncologist in letter statea possible peritonial disease . Confussed . Would a rafiologist miss such a thing ?

Customer:

Mets are--1 liver met, 1 sub pleural met , 1 aortocaval node met

Dr. Charogat :

I'm sorry to hear about your father. I hope they are able to cure him.

Dr. Charogat :

The size of the mets can be smaller than can be seen on CT.

Dr. Charogat :

The fact that there is a liver met means that it has spread in the abdomen and that would lead to a possibility of peritoneal disease.

Dr. Charogat :

The sub-pleural and aortocaval mets may be near each other.

Dr. Charogat :

Does this help?

Customer:

i see. Is it advisable to have chemo? My father is having nano knife done for thses mets ?

Dr. Charogat :

Chemo is often used for patients with stage three.

Dr. Charogat :

Some of the decisions are made based on the genetic markers of the particular tumor.

Customer:

His I stage 4 as he has mets right. ?

Dr. Charogat :

I'm not sure what you mean?

Dr. Charogat :

What is an "I stage"?

Dr. Charogat :

Are you asking what stage he has? I answered about 3 because that was what you started your question with, but having remote mets does make it stage 4

Dr. Charogat :

For stage 4 there is a debate as to the best treatment, but chemotherapy is used instead of surgery.

Customer:

What is survival like ?

Dr. Charogat :

This is a question that I don't think doctors ever have a right to answer, as it puts extra pressure on the patients and even more so on the family members. It becomes a matter of waiting to die instead of continuing to live.

Dr. Charogat :

Generally the 5 year survival rate is under 25%, BUT, that means that there ARE MANY people who DO live beyond 5 years.

Dr. Charogat :

One other thing that has been studied repeatedly and proved over and over is that attitude is everything, and if a patient expects to live s/he usually lives longer than one who doesn't.

Dr. Charogat :

Hi. I see you've returned to the chat.

Dr. Charogat :

Do you have further questions?

Customer:

U are so right . First dr I've com across that made sense . That's exactly what I'm doing thinking of death ! Thanks so much for the advice.

Dr. Charogat :

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

Dr. Charogat :

I'll have your family in my prayers for sure!

Customer:

So far there are. 3 small mets , he's hsving ablation done. And prob chemo after . Would this give him long survival with ablation ?

Dr. Charogat :

Ablation is done to try and get control of the disease. Get rid of these mets and treat so no more will come.

Dr. Charogat :

Treating them and follow up with chemo certainly can have a positive affect on his outcome.

Customer:

thx

Dr. Charogat, Doctor
Experience: Licensed in both NYS and NJ with experience in surgery and medicine.