Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

I had another arrhythmia (Atrial fibrillation) episode at

Customer Question

I had another arrhythmia (Atrial fibrillation) episode at about 22.30 last night 23rd Feb blood pressure machine reading 113/66/122
Usually I take an extra Flecainite and within 30 minutes arrhythmia resides . This time I took flecainite extra at about 23.40 but nothing happened heart beat still 131 at 00.54 24th febreading 105/70/131.
. At 01.00 I taken a second extra flecainite. At 1.41 blood pressure machine reading 113/77/109. Arythmia still persists.At 01.41 113/77/109
at 2.29 92/58/69 Heart beat is lowered but blood pressure is lowered too much as well. At 3.00 82/58/61. Arrythmia stil lpersist.my question is;
Is it save to stay home try to get some sleep and speak to my cardiologist tomorrow morning? Or is the low bloodpressure a danger and I need to go to the emergencey department in hospital?
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I am going to assist you with your question. First I need a little more information-
What is your blood pressure reading at this time?
Do you have symptoms like -
Blurry vision, Confusion, Dizziness?
Do you suffer from severe emotional stress or anxiety issue?
Do you have severe pain in left side of chest?
Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

blood pressure now is 105/77 pulse 66. At 23.30 I also took one Xarelto 20 mg antiocoagular.

I do have emotional problems lots of anger!

No blur vision no confusion no dizziness. no pain on left chest

Dear Customer, Thanks for providing quick additional information.
I can understand your concern.
Having low blood pressure is a symptom of arrhythmia.
Sometimes arrhythmias are silent, meaning they cause no obvious symptoms.
In case, you have severe chest pain, shortness of breath, prolonged palpitations or racing heart, then it should be immediately managed in ER ASAP.
If the blood pressure falls below 90 mm of hg systolic, then there is hypoperfusion (means, decreased blood supply) of the organs, beginning with the brain, which causes dizziness, etc. The further the pressure falls, the more the organs are affected.
Ideally, when a person has 90 millimeters of mercury (mm Hg) or less systolic blood pressure or 60 mm Hg or less diastolic blood pressure then it is generally considered as low blood pressure, or 90/ 60.
Any fall of pressure below this should be treated.
One may need intravenous (IV) fluids may be the recommended initial therapy.
In your case, such blood pressure levels, doesn't falls under emergency care.
Yes, you have rightly taken Flecainide for arrhythmia.
Yes, you can take a sleep now, and see your doctor by tomorrow.
Yes, you can safely wait till tomorrow and discuss this issue with your Cardiologist.
Good luck and take care.
Please let me know how I can be of further assistance.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My arrhythmia begon about 6 years ago. I had two re ocurances in between every 3 years.This year I had three in January and two in February. Always following emotional problems and anger! My cardiologist explained that we mayhave to consider catheterisation. e xpplain they have t go inthrough the groin and through lungs enter into the heart and burnt some areas on the wall sof the left champer I believe. he did explainthat the success rate is 50% and it has a 3% high risk including puncuring of theh heart and even death. So it mayhave to be done twice which eans 6% hig risk.

What is your opinion? is it time to do the catheterisation? and are thhe risks as told.

Dear Customer,
It is true having extreme emotional problem can worsen such condition.
Yes, cardiac Catheterisation can be considered by your doctor.
The risk of serious complications is small and is mainly in people who already have serious heart disease.
Major complications are rare, though.
Your doctor will only recommend cardiac catheterisation if they feel the benefits outweigh the small risk.
The decision for this procedure, has to be taken by your Cardiologist after clinical examination and tests.
Please see your doctor by tomorrow and get it managed.
Good luck and take care.